We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baby sea turtle rescue

Swansea, Illinois
Level Contributor
167 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
baby sea turtle rescue

Has anyone done the baby sea turtle rescue?

I see they have one at the Hilton. Do you have to stay there to participate? Are there any others we can do?

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,498 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

What is a baby sea turtle rescue? Are you talking about a turtle release? Several resorts have fenced off nesting areas where the eggs have been 'transplanted' from the original site where the momma laid her eggs. When the eggs are ready to hatch, the staff dig up the nest and let the folks who are there participate in the release. It's a great experience.

I wrote a report of my experience last October, and others contributed to the thread with info from other resorts: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k49233…

Clearwater,FL
Level Contributor
299 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

I must be missing something. For whom is it a great experience?

I have a great idea. Leave the eggs where they were laid, and leave them alone.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
8,188 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

Unfortunately, the turtles lay eggs where they will likely be washed away, eaten, or otherwise destroyed. So they are safeguarded until the turtles hatch. Also, this way all of the hatched turtles will make it to the water -- unlike in nature, when the gulls and other critters pick off almost all of them before they reach the water.

Because the beaches are all built up with resorts, they have to do this to protect the turtles. If there were no resorts, then most certainly the eggs could have been left alone. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
62,498 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

finstotheleft ~ the program I observed was extremely educational with two school groups in attendance. One of the teachers translated much of the 'lesson' for me. The release was the culminating activity for an age appropriate lesson for the two different groups, and it seemed to be both an enjoyable and educational experience for the students.

"Grupo Tortuguero" is the organization. Peruse some of the website for more information. "The Grupo Tortuguero works with local communities to recover migratory sea turtle. The objectives of the Grupo Tortuguero are to 1) build a strong conservation network, 2) develop our understanding of human-caused threats to turtle survival and develop solutions to those threats, and 3) communicate our message widely, promoting the conservation of sea turtles throughout the region."

>> For whom is it a great experience? <<

I think that even on less populated beaches, protecting the nests improves the survival rate. That's a great experience for the babies that survive!

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

Good post PNWF. Full of facts and specifics. No conjecture. No "feel good" statements.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

I am staying at the Finesterra and there are about 10 groups of protected baby turtle eggs right at our hotel on the beach. They are protected with milk crates and have signs that say when they were buried and when they will hatch. We are expecting one group to hatch ANY day now! It says from Sept 4 - 15 and they still haven't yet...if I get to see them, it will make my entire trip. I'm so excited. I'll take some photos and report back if/when they do hatch.

Tacoma, Wash
Level Contributor
12,757 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

I thought it was pretty "feel good" for the turtles.

But yes, Hooligan, I concur. Very good post:))

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

BG. Well...yeah.....it felt good to me too...but you know what I meant...I hope.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
1,695 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

It was a great experience the year we got to witness it. The baby turtles were lovingly released into the sea without getting eaten before they hit water. I'd say that was a win-win. For me and the turtles...

Sorry, that was emotional drivel. Which is sometimes just as cool as PNW's always fabulous facts. Having snorkelled with adult sea turtles, I adore that we humans are giving them a helping hand.

(OK, off my soap box now...)

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: baby sea turtle rescue

Our boys are headed to Cabo with us this year...ages 8 & 10....I was wondering what new things we could do and a turtle release might just be the ticket. Thanks Vacation Dog for your eloquent and loving description :-) (emotional drivel??)

They have already informed me that we are doing dog walking at the LCHS. I have informed them that we will do that but this year we will NOT be bringing a dog or cat home with us!!!!!!!