We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baja road trip.....

Auckland NZ
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baja road trip.....

Hi

We are planning a road trip down the Baha peninsula. We will be flying into L A , to meet up , one from Europe one from N Z.

Picking up a car in Mexico seems best option ,possibly Tiuana , after travelling there maybe by train ( open to suggestions)

We have ten days available for the trip.

Leaving car in Cabos and flying back to LA. is current plan as driving both ways seems a bit too much.

Looking for advice on overall feasibility , is it ok to drive in M full stop? and of course practicalities of getting to car hire on Tiuana and the trip down.

Thanks in anticipation.

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,872 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baja road trip.....

You might want to take a look at the Baja Nomad................I have only peeked at that site about once, but they would have some great info/advice I think!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baja road trip.....

Bajanomad is a good site for options for hotels and camping. 10 days gives a lot of time for both. The straight drive is 2 full days. I am not sure of renting a car, as in Mexcio the rental places are franchises and may not allow drop off's that far away.

We just had friends from NZ (Christchurch) spend 3 weeks with us. Before visiting us, they drove from San Fran to LA and had some "excitement" driving on the "wrong" side of the road. I will say that the road down the Baja has many place with no margin for error, so please be careful since you will not be used to driving on the right "correct" side. The road if very narrow with no shoulder and large drop offs. We went on a short road trip with them and they were surprised as to the quality of road versus NZ. Be Careful.

3. Re: Baja road trip.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 00:18