We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Hello everyone,

We are looking forward to kicking back and relaxing when we arrive at the Hacienda del Mar in a couple of weeks, However, we have family that we will need to check in with on a regular bases. Can anyone contribute to AT&T service in that area. Also, how expensive are the calls? Any other suggestions for communications with the U.S.?

Thank you!

Winnipeg, MB
Level Contributor
329 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

AT&T Pay-Per-Use Calling Rate in Canada and Mexico: $1.00/min unless you buy some kind of plan that brings the rate down to about 40cents a minute.

Hope this helps:

PS use e-mail.

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
225 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

As long as you are in a WIFI zone, you can use apps like 'whatsapp' and 'Viber' for free texts and phone calls. Also, many places offer free calls to the US and Canada like Cabo Blue.

Oregon
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

If you have an apple device, and those that you are contacting do as well, you can use FaceTime via Wi-Fi, for free. We always buy the Mexico plan for one of our phones, just in case, but last year it went from $4.95 per month pro-rated, to $30 per month and they no longer pro-rate it...that, and each phone call is (I think) $0.49 per minute, and texts are either $0.50, or $1.00 each. I'm not an apple cheerleader, but when we have used FaceTime via Wi-Fi in Cabo, the quality was (IMO) actually better than AT&T.

There are also a number of places that will allow you to make a free call to the US (for the price of a beer). Cabo Blue, and Cabo Cantina, for certain.

Free Wi-Fi can be found easily in Cabo....there is a link above (Top Questions About Cabo San Lucas) about free Wi-Fi. When I say "free", most will require that you at least buy a beverage.

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Thank you everyone you have been very helpful. Your information is very appreciated!

Surrey, B.C.
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Many locale bars have free calls to the US and Canada

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
515 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

You can add a text only option for AT&T that is what we do when we go to mexico. If we need to call we make it from one of the many bars that allow it. The text option is only $5-10.

Jackson
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Thank you Lisascub and gaburlison. I will check both of these ideas out. sounds great!

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Thank you for your response. Your information is greatly appreciated!

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

There are many free text apps if you are trying to save a few pennies. The better option is:

(1) Tell your friends you will be gone and to use email (free via wifi) while you are gone.

(2) Get a free Google Voice account and forward your phone calls to the GV #. GV phone app will then display the caller ID for the call plus it will send you a transcription of any voicemails FREE via text or email.

(3) Use Apple FaceTime or Skype or MagicJack to place free calls via hotel wifi.

(4) Don't get special calling plan from AT&T, Sprint, etc. unless you are certain you will need to make calls in Mexico. Even if you only end up calling a few minutes, 10x99cents is cheaper than $30.

(5) Whatever you do don't use international data roaming (turn that OFF) unless you sign up for a data plan - or you could get stuck with a massive bill. However this should not happen as you can usually get data via free wifi at many places including Senor Greenbergs

Remember incoming texts are always free, you do not have to reply via text but can email or call back via wifi. Even if you do send a few texts it's usually 50 cents per text so still cheaper than a $10/mo add-on.

We have done this every year for the past 5 years, and usually the only extra charges we have on our bill are a couple of 99 cent calls and maybe $2 in text messages.

Texas
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cell phone use in Los Cabos/Cabo San Lucas area

Thank you Boraxo,

My friend got the at&t service. I think I'm going to take my chances and use your suggestion. Will probably only be checking in once a day with my children. Appreciate your input!