We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Baja California safe?

Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Driving in Baja California safe?

We are planning a "on the go trip" from loreto to Bahia magdelena and then cabo San Lucas with our children. 10 and 8 years old. We know not to drive at night ever on vacation. But is driving in this area of Mexico safe? I wouldn't want to risk my children's saftey.

We have driven in Costa Rica and found that safe despite people's concerns.

Thank you for any information.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

Hi Steve, I did the trip a few years back with a friend. We spent a month driving all over Baja, off road and on. Like you said, best not to drive at night, make sure your vehicle is in top notch condition. The main road is very narrow with no shoulders, so you have to drive carefully. Make a plan for how far you want to drive and where you can get fuel.

As for other safety concerns, I wouldn't worry too much about that. We didn't have any problems. I can't wait to do it again.

Read all you can on the roads and turnoffs, enjoy that very cool place. Oh, and watch for "vados"...they are over the road culverts that allow water to run over the road after heavy rains, they can be steep and rough...follow the road signs.

Have and safe and fun trip!

Cabo San Lucas...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

The roads are getting better. From La Paz to Cabo is all 4 lane and from Loreto, I think all the bridges over the washed are complete. There is one small mountain range to cross and as SpeedO said, narrow roads and no shoulder. Otherwise safe - just drive defensive and careful

Denver, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
8,133 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

What's the website for people who like driving to baja? Is that the bajanomad site? I also think there is a forum right here on TA for people who prefer to drive to their destinations. Best to get advice directly from people who have made the trip in the past rather than us regular forumites (like me) that just fly to Cabo.

Good luck on your trip... stay safe!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

Baja Nomad is one of the best I think.............and the Baja Pony Express also has some bits of info.

Stratham, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

Thanks All!

6. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2016, 03:30
Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,710 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

I don't believe you can drive a rental car from CA to Mexico, so you would need to take your own. You might also want to check on the Baja Nomad site for more info. Another thought would be to caravan with others since your husband has concerns. I don't know how well your "little kids" travel, but they might not find it all that entertaining if they are quite young.........just a thought, having done some 'road trips' with little ones. It is advisable to keep your gas tank full, plan your trip for over-nights in places you would like to stay.....

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

If by safety this is one of those attacks by bandits on horseback threads it's safe. Those are brought on as much by folks stereotyping Mexico than any real news. If by safe you refer to roads... the highway is pretty good finally. Could use more guardrails. Look for piles of rocks in the road. If someone breaks down..especially on a corner.. they pile rocks as a warning. I've driven in both Mexico and Costa Rica. The latter tends to have worse roads.

9. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

10. Re: Driving in Baja California safe?