We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

Saint Clair Shores
2 posts
Save Topic
Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

My husand & I are looking to go to Cabo area in February. Would like some input about the Presidente...how is the food? Drinks? Anyone ever stay in the oceanfront lanai rooms? We are looking fora more laid back atmosphere and my husband would love to do some fishing, me I would rather lay by the pool & get a tan! Any suggestions, ideas, input would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Central Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

Amy el Presidente is a great place for laid back. It is the closest resort to the San Jose marina but still not really walkable, but only a 5 minute cab ride.

They have an adults only pool on the east side if you want extra laid back. The service is really what the resort is know for as the previous manager was awesome. I am sure the service remains top notch.

Loud and crazy is not on the menu there at least not very often. The lobby bar is the last to close and that happens about midnight. Food is above average for AI in Cabo and likely the best AI food in Cabo.

I always thought the beds were hard so ask for a topper when you check in if you like a softer bed.

The drinks are good and the beer is cold. The staff is awesome and the grounds are very well kept. If there was knock it would be that the place is a bit older but I still like it and find it very acceptable.

Have your husband reserve a panga with Gordo Banks Pangas. This is the best run fishing outfit in San Jose. Their website is, www.gordobanks.com

The owner Eric Brickston is a great guy and takes care of his customers.

You will enjoy yourself at el Presidente,

F4B

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

Since I consider myself the #1 fan of the Presidente I would have to agree with pretty much everything fish4brains said, can't really comment on the fishing part since I would much prefer sitting at the pool or sitting at the adult pool bar talking to the infamous bartender Alma, but my other half has used Gordo Banks Pangas many times and is always happy with them.

Now about the Presidente....I think the food is good and there is always a good variety at either the buffet or a la carte restaurants, there is always a buffet and at least 1 a la carte open sometimes more depending on how full the hotel is. The drinks are good they carry many top shelf brands but you have to ask for the brand or they will use basic well liquor. The water on site is purified and they also supply bottled water in your room. 24 hour room service is a nice plus and the menu is quite extensive.

Rooms....ocean front lanai rooms are totally worth the upgrade, we love the patio it is perfect for laying in the hammock listening to the waves or just sitting at the table with cocktails playing cards. The 3rd floor rooms have balconies but I think the balcony is too small for my taste. 2nd floor rooms have large picture windows.

Service is without doubt totally awesome and even though the previous manager is no longer there (fish is right he was awesome) the staff and management team are still wonderful. The Presidente isn't a party place but it is a great place to chill out and relax, there is entertainment in the lobby bar at night and Benjemin strolls around to the different restaurants and sings and plays his guitar, the activities staff make sure the theme parties are always fun. There are 3 pools so you will find something to fit whatever mood you are in whether it be the family (big) pool or activites pool or the adult pool.

The Presidente isn't the newest or the fanciest but it is well maintained the grounds are beautiful and in case I didn't mention it the staff is awesome! I wouldn't keep going back 3-5 times a year for the last 30 years if I didn't think it was a great place (no I don't work for them or have a timeshare or belong to the 'club' I just know it is a wonderful place to stay) The only thing I would change would be to get rid of the 'Club'/timeshare people at the hotel, although usually a no thanks works and they leave you alone after that.

Send me a pm if you have any questions about the hotel and I'll do my best to anwer them.

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

Hi, my wife and I are going to the Presidente on Feb.18 and we would like to know if you have any suggestions on shopping and restaurants in San Jose del Cabo. This is our first time there and would like to here what you think of the town? Also what is the best way to get into town. Some have said it is a nice 25 minute walk through the bird estuary, or would taking a cab be better?

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,052 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

wpgtourist_50 I'm sending you a PM in answer to the one you sent me so watch for it.

About the walk to San Jose....at this time you really can't walk through the estuary as they haven't opened a new channel for the water to flow out to the ocean and the path is covered by water. At least iit was that way when we were there a couple of weeks ago. Best bet is to walk out the front door take a left at the end of the driveway go right at the first street and follow into town it is a nice walk and takes about 15 minutes., or if you don't feel like walking it is a $5 taxi ride.

Edited: 19 January 2011, 01:34
Mitchell, SD
Level Contributor
471 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

We will be up the street at the Grand Mayan 2-12 - 18 and really like the area. There are a number of great restaurants downtown - short walk. One we like is Herrardos which is 1 blk to the left of the roundabout just before downtown. Great outdoor restaurant. Most of the restaurants are great, some just more expensive, check the menu first.

6. Re: Intercontinental Presidente...should we go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo