We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging money.

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
victoria british...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Exchanging money.

For shopping in markets or at beach vendors, is it better to use an ATM or bring US or Canadian funds to exchange for pesos. Also, where is the best place to exchange for pesos? We are staying at the Hola Grand Faro, thanks,

Luaulady

Smithers, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchanging money.

We have used Canadian.. some prefer US dollars. But you can get great exchange rates at the Scotia Banks and most banks give a good exchange on US. The Mega store has an ATM to get Pesos as well. Don't exchange at the Mexican airport.. worst exchange ever.. the Canadian airports give a better rate.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,943 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchanging money.

Pesos, pesos, pesos. It's their national currency, you'll get the best prices, and it's easiest for vendors & shop owners to use.

Luaulady ~ are you packed? What time does your flight leave? I'll be thinking of you enjoying the warm Los Cabos sun tomorrow afternoon.

victoria british...
Level Contributor
183 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchanging money.

Thanks a bunch. I'm packed but my suitcase is too heavy Lol!! I have to take out some things but am excited to be heading into the sun. We've had so much negativity from friends and family due to the press coverage of the drug problems I amosto bailed. I've decided The Baja is safe and I don't need 14 changes of clothes. My bad!! We fly out of Vancouver tomorrow @2 so we will be there soon. Thanks for all the advice.

Luaulady

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,943 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchanging money.

Your funny friends & family.... Maybe you need to give them all maps for Christmas this year.

Yes, take stuff out of your suitcase. You just need a few casual outfits and some bathing suits. You might want cozy pants (sweats?) for the early morning cup of coffee while you sit on the beach. That's a great way to start the day!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,032 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchanging money.

Luaulady,

We don't use our ATM card because our bank charges a fee not only for the usual out of system but for international use. We bring travelers checks (ok I know it's old fashioned but it is safe and the checks are insured) and cash. We just exchange to pesos on an as needed basis with the resort we stay at, the difference in exchange rate is minor compared to the bank and for me the convenience is well worth the difference.

You are going to have an absolutely wonderful time!

Edited: 23 January 2011, 14:10
6. Re: Exchanging money.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2012, 02:22