We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

catholic churches in san jose del cabo

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
United States
1 post
Save Topic

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

I am assuming you are asking if there is one....yes it is by the town square and art district, about a 15 - 20 minute walk from many of the hotels. My husband has gone to Sunday services there in the past it is quite old and very beautiful started as a mission back in 1738.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

Do you know what the dress code is for Mass in Mexico? We'd like to attend Easter Mass but want to make sure we're dressed appropriately. THanks!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

Tracey,

The times we have been the dress code is not as casual as it is in the states. The women dressed in dresses or skirts there were a few ladies in pant suits but I didn't see many like that and the men worn slacks & shirts tucked in or suits all the kids were dressed in what my grandma always called "putting on your Sunday finest" I noticed the women had something on their heads I'm not Catholic so I don't know what they are called but it looks like a lace hankie the guys all had coyboy hats that they removed as they went in the church. As I was watching I have to say it reminded me of stuff seen on TV about small town America back in the 50's Ithat isn't meant as a slam against the people I just thought it was actually kind of nice to see how everyone seemed to be very respectful of the church and tradition.

CA
Level Contributor
362 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

For women, heads must be covered(hanky or scarf will do in a pinch), dress must go to the knees and I would avoid pants and most certainly bare shoulders! For men, tucked in shirt and pants. Think church about 40-50 years ago.

London
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

It is a beautiful church. Easter Sunday would be a wonderful time to attend. This reminds me of my grandmother, not Mexican, but older European. She would not enter church without having her head covered. This makes me smile.

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

travelingc, thanks your description of the dress code was far better than mine.

The thing I thought was amazing and beautiful was the feeling I got from watching all the people gathered in the courtyard of the church and in the town square in front of the church talking and laughing and kids running around playing together there was such a sense of family and community.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

We were walking in town a couple years ago and there was a funeral at the church. They had a procession on the streets around the church. Although sad, it was nice to witness their traditions.

The head covering is a chapel veil. I had 8 years of catholic grade school and went to mass everyday. If we forgot our chapel veils, the nuns would make us wear kleenex on our head!

Thornton, Colorado
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

shelb, a chapel vail sounds much better than a hanky John was just reading the posts and corrected my terminology as well. Hey by the way I'm still looking forward to a get together with you and KatD in a couple of months I'll bring Barb with me.

CA
Level Contributor
362 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

Thanks an2jo2! I didn't even see your post so it wasn't really necessary. Brought me back to my Catholic school days- we would never be allowed to wear anything with bare shoulders and heaven forbid we didn't have a hat or covering on our heads!

10. Re: catholic churches in san jose del cabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 11:43