We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

We have booked a vacation at the Barcelo Palace Deluxe for 5/4-5/11/12. For the past week I have been reading repeated negative complaints about the Barcelo Palace and now I am having second thoughts. Almost everyone is saying you have to get up at 6am to have your pool chair or beach chair covered with a towel in order to have a place for the day. This sounds ridiculous and we have never encountered this traveling to Mexico and the Carribean for the past 12 years. This is giving my signicant other anxiety already because he is retired and getting up at 6am to save a relaxing spot doesn't sound like a vacation to him. We also heard getting an umbrella for the day is almost impossible. I am fair skinned and an umbrella or shade will be a necessity for me. Can anyone give me the straight truth on these two issues? Thanks.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

If you have been reading recent reviews they would have been written during spring break and the peak of high season, May and late April are the beginning of mid season headed towards low season so I would think plenty of lounges will be available.

maybe go wayyyy back and read reviews from May of last year and see what they had to say.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
44 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

When I stayed there it was in June and it was difficult to get chairs in a decent spot by the pool if you want shade. I suggest getting up early and placing your towel on the chair. I agree with you,having to get up early to reserve your chairs it not really what you want to be doing on your vacation. But there doesn't seem to be much choice but that seems to be that way at most resorts.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

If a towel has been on a chair for a couple hours and no one has been there during that time, I have no trouble asking a pool attendant to remove it or even doing it myself. Chairhogs are rude, plain and simple, and deserve the same level of courtesy IMO.

There, my rant for the day. :-D

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,261 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Reading the reviews of the Barcelo sounds like those chair-hogs have taken it to a whole new level. Folks put stuff out the night before or leave stuff on 'their' chair for the entire week. Staff just shrugs. Pay $$$$ to use a cabana.

beachgal419 ~ you may want to check out the Barcelo Facebook page and get some information from staff. Good luck!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

We stayed last year and are going to be there May 6-12 this year. There are plenty of chairs. Now, the first row around the pools will likely be saved, but there are hundreds of others. In the afternoon the adult only pool is a nice change of pace with lots of sun.

Sleep in, relax, you will find plenty of chairs near the pools. You have to remember many of the reviewers will not be satisfied with anything. They have to have the perfect chair and if someone has saved it this ruins there whole holiday...grow up! I read them for their entertainment value. I know the Barcelo is an awesome resort with awesome value. You are going to love it! :)

Level Contributor
6 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Thanks to all for your tips and experienced advice.

Todd I like your way of positive thinking. We will be there May 4-11.

Any advice on which building location to request? I was reading a lot of good comments on the South Building, Galeon Building, and Building 1. The building names don't seem to have a pattern.

What do you think Todd?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
2,615 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Just this morning I was just thinking about all the chair saving. Seems like years ago (I'm talking about 15-20) years), before TA was so popular, that there was never a problem getting a chair. With so many people complaining about it, it just seems to compound the problem. Sometimes too much information isn't a good thing ;(

Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Well, I was one of those that just did write one of 'those' reviews.

We were there mid March and there weren't spring breakers there, so that wasn't the issue.

The towel game was RIDICULOUS! worst i have seen anywhere.

Our room was in the Galecon section, oceanview, which also gave us view of pool from our balcony so we could see most of the chairs WITH towels on them when we woke up. We get up relatively early on holiday and I'm usually down by 8 am to sit by pool and wait for husband to come down and then we go for breakfast by about 8:30.

I was lucky to get 2 chairs near the wedding gazebo. Virtually EVERY chair had towel on it by then.

Can't really comment on the beach as we are pool people. We did an excursion one day and didn't end up back at the resort until ~3 so went to the beach that day. Did get chairs but they were really uncomfortable - have stiff bars in the middle.

You can more easily get spot at the adult pool as they don't get the sun until mid afternoon; just get there earlier (and don't save a chair there but spend the morning at the pool and contribute to the problem!!). Very quiet there though! They do have more comfy chairs there.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 14:32
Fort McMurray...
Level Contributor
1,217 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

Oh - we weren't interested in getting the cabanas, they actually weren't even a full sized length. Would likely fit me as i'm not tall, but not my husband. He's 6'3"

Signs on them when we were there, $40/day if you're interested.

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can we find a chair without getting up at 6am?

cowtown, if you were there in mid March I guarantee you there were springbreakers there....not all spring breakers are drunken college kids, LOTS of teachers and families vacation over spring break since school is out. me, I would never vacation mid March to Mid April for that very fact as with Spring break its the pinnacle of high season. : )

Edited: 16 April 2012, 14:50