We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to grocery shop

Which San Jose del Cabo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sugabear
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to grocery shop

We are in San Jose right now and need to find a cheaper place to buy supplies. The first night we arrived we picked up a few items at Mega mart - fruit, cheese, rice milk, cereal and a couple of bottles of cheap liquor - the bill was over a $100 USD!!

We were in Don Sanchez having a conversation with one of the owners and he did say that MegaMart and Walmart are for "tourists" and that its too expensive to shop there.

Problem is, we go so carried away in conversation we forgot to as him exactly where we should be shopping instead! lol

Any suggestions as to where we can get cheaper good local produce?

San Jose del Cabo...
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

If you picked up imported items they will cost a lot. Mega does charge slightly more than the Mexican stores like Leys, located between Mega and Walmart which usually has beautiful fruits and veggies and Soriana's which is about 2 or 3 miles north of Walmart. They're all located on the main highway on the right hand side as you drive north towards the airport.

sugabear
Level Contributor
88 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

we are home now but thanks nevertheless Ceresa.

I am going to make a note for when we go back. We didnt buy much at Megmart other than some fruits, bread, jam and cheese and I had sticker shock. I know they have a captive audience because of the the number of tourists in the area but good grief!

I'd rather shop locally anyways so thanks for the store names above.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,787 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Only 3 ways to get food into Cabo. (1) By truck down an @ 900 mile lonely highway. (2) By ferry from Mazatlan + a couple of hour truck drive from La Paz. (3) By air. It's all expensive. Very similar to shopping for groceries in Hawaii or Alaska.

Claremont...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Wal-Mart

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
840 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Walmart and Costco are like the ones in the U.S. We much preferred Mega and Soriana for fresh vegetables and variety.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

In order of more expensive to cheaper Mega-Ley-Soriana-Walmart

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
56,548 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Hector ~ where is Ley?

sugabear ~ thanks for letting us continue this discussion about grocery shopping! It's a great idea to take notes for your next visit.

Chino, California
Level Contributor
122 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Mega and Wal-mart have been super cheap for us, compared to home!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
151 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

Just buy Mexican brands and your bill will be cheap. We spent around $100 for the week for two adults and one child and that covered all our dinner and breakfasts, coffee and drinks.

The 4 times I've been at Mega I saw a few gringo looking folk but also a fair number of locals.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,978 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to grocery shop

We've always found the selection, quality and prices at the Mega store to be reasonable. Since we usualyy stay in San Jose, we don't think it makes sense to drive to CSL for Costco.

Get answers to your questions about San Jose del Cabo