We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe?

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Topic
Is it safe?

I will be traveling to Guadalajara early July and I wanted to go down to Morelia for a day. If we happen to get a rental car is it safe to drive to Morelia? I've heard its really dangerous down in Michoacan so I want to confirm if its safe or not. I think we will be driving to Morelia early in the morning around 5 am and back to Guadalajara around 7-8 pm. Am I risking it too much by driving during those hours? Also if we don't end up getting a rental car is it safe to travel by bus?

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Guadalajara Metropolitan Area, Mexico
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
11 replies to this topic
1. Re: Is it safe?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2017, 14:39

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
154 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe?

Whoever gave you the information that "things are really dangerous down in Michoacan" is wrong and you should stop listening to their rants. I don't like to drive at dark, just because I would miss some of the beautiful scenery. The cuota or freeway is fast and easy, but the old highway is beautiful and takes you through the highlands of Michoacan. Too bad you can't spend more time in Morelia. It's a hidden gem of a city, with museums and many things to see.

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe?

Thank you for your help :).. If we end up spending the night in Morelia are there any areas and/or hotels you guys recommend?

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
4. Re: Is it safe?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Boston...
Level Contributor
8 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe?

We have been planning to drive a rental car next February from Zihuatanejo to Patzcuaro and then to San Miguel de Allende, but on the basis of US State department travel warnings (Dec. 2016), have been worried about the safety of driving -- even in daylight -- in Guerrero and Michuacan. It sounds like based on local experience you would not be concerned? They say the toll roads are safest -- do you know whether one can take toll roads on the route we plan? Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Zihuatanejo
Zihuatanejo
Guerrero, Mexico
Patzcuaro
Patzcuaro
Michoacan, Mexico
San Miguel de Allende
San Miguel de Allende
Guanajuato, Mexico
6. Re: Is it safe?

Noosa Heads
Level Contributor
5 posts
977 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe?

I am in Morelia now and I have to admit I was a little concerned about coming here based on the travel warnings. It's the same level threat as Syria or Afghanistan. It must be right ?

What a joke ! There are literally thousands of families out in the evening here enjoying this beautiful city. There is not even the slightest feeling of danger. Whoever wrote these reports has clearly never actually been here.

This is a wonderful city and you must visit

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
San Diego...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe?

We are looking at driving from Morelia to Guadalajara and then from Guadalajara to Comala. Have you ever driven that route? It looks to me like it circumvents the riskier areas, but I'd love any insights. Thanks! (We're a family of 4, we speak Spanish and would only be driving during the day on toll roads).

Mentioned in this post
Morelia
Morelia
Michoacan, Mexico
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
154 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe?

I have personally driven and bused that route several times recently and neither experienced any issues, nor noticed any. Not sure if any place in the world, including one's own bed, would be classified as SAFE these days, but I have the Michoacan Net chat room and am members of most gringo chat rooms/forums in Mexico, and haven't heard any horrid, first hand dangerous stories.

Everyone is concerned about safety when traveling and my advice is to listen to FIRST HAND stories of things people have seen and experienced, and not second-hand repeats or gossip.

I am retired and don't have a business in Mexico, have no rentals, nor earn money south of the border. Most of my friends live around Lake Patzcuaro and next month, I am finally joining them in full-time living, south of the border. Feliz viaje, David

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Lake Patzcuaro
Lake Patzcuaro
62 Reviews
Central Mexico and Gulf Coast, Mexico
Guadalajara, Mexico
Destination Expert
for San Luis Potosi, Zacatecas
Level Contributor
4,297 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe?

Just went with some visiting friends from Guadalajara over to Colima and Comala and nearby, its really nice. I don´t get at all what people perceive as risky especially people from the USA, you are in state capitals and well trafficked good roads, on that route there are many resort type mountain places off to the side in the mountains, the free old highway parallels the faster cuota/toll road, people are nice, once outside of Gdl metro area not much traffic. We happened upon a small pueblo feria - municipal fair - at Techaluta de Montenegro, center of the pitaya fruit - a type of tuna-cactus fruit - half way to Colima and my old friend from the US who had ridiculous ideas about Mexico had his eyes opened - Meagan I can almost guarantee you will feel chastened about US media exaggeration/fear mongering upon return. Colima is a nice small city, has been really hot but the rains are starting soon. The regional anthropology museum in Colima is excellent in a huge 19th C casona on the central plaza https:/…regional-museum-of-history - it puts the Comala imagery in context, the Xoloitzcuintle dog sculptures are all over, no matter how much I practice that word its hard to say. Colima itself is easy to get around, v relaxed, there are several pyramid sites right within city limits, El Chanal is small and quite beautiful. Small state, engaging people, beautiful sites. Guadalajara as always you should time your drive around traffic avoiding rush hours. Waze works well to guide your route. Have a fun trip!

Mentioned in this post
Guadalajara
Guadalajara
Colima
Colima
Colima, Mexico
United States
United States
North America
Mexico
Mexico