We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Level Contributor
66 posts
57 reviews
High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

I have been to Mexico many times and I prefer to stay away from the tourist scenes and crowds. I like a high mountain town with a few good accommodations and restaurants. Like to take an hour or so walk into the countryside or perhaps a National Park. Would definitely appreciate your suggestions. Thanks in advance.Frank in Charlotte, USA

9 replies to this topic
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

There are a few mountain towns near the butterfly sanctuaries like Angangeuo and Tlalpujahua that might fit the bill. They're more than an hour away from Morelia, though.

San Miguel de...
Destination Expert
for San Miguel de Allende, Central Mexico and Gulf Coast
Level Contributor
8,091 posts
129 reviews
2. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Parts of Michoacán are narco territory so it would be dangerous to go too far off the beaten track.

Pátzcuaro is less touristy than you might think and there are lots of villages around the lake. Uruapan has a park right in the centre of town.

2 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

I think that you are looking for something like what you will find in Los Azufres. Thermal waters, great hikes into the mountains, several hotels and restaurants. If you go during the weekdays it will be rather empty.

Level Contributor
66 posts
57 reviews
4. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Thanks to all of you who took the time to assist with my trip.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
158 posts
99 reviews
5. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Number 2's comment that "Parts of Michoacán are narco territory so it would be dangerous to go too far off the beaten track" is like saying parts of Chicago are controlled by the mob so be careful where you go. Yes, like many areas around the world, one must be careful when traveling, but the cartels are not after travelers, tourists or visitors. They are after each other's territorial rights. Of course, things happen anywhere, but I haven't recently heard any bad news from Michoacan about travelers.

My advice is to always be careful, stay away from drugs, go easy on the delicious margaritas and wear plenty of sun block for protection from the crystal blue skies.

PS As for your question about a high mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia, the Lake Patzcuaro area fits that request perfectly.

Edited: 06 March 2018, 11:20
Level Contributor
66 posts
57 reviews
6. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

DMHAustin: Thanks for your suggestions but I have visited all of the places suggested and suppose I am searching for something new. Thanks again.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
158 posts
99 reviews
7. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Been to Lake Patzcuaro? Try Uruapan,also an hour away from Morelia.

Level Contributor
66 posts
57 reviews
8. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

DMHAustin: Thanks for the suggestions. I have been to Patzuaro and didn't much care for the place. Do you perhaps know of a smaller village near Uruapan (too large for me) which I could explore? Thanks.

Erongaricuaro...
Level Contributor
158 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia

Since your original request did not specify details, have you been to Parque Nacional Lago de Camecuaro?

Reply to: High mountain town for base hour or so of Morelia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Morelia