We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

Florida
Level Contributor
153 posts
7 reviews
Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

Hello friends:

Yahoo in the bussiness section has an article about

places to retire on $1200 a month.Among,Panama and others is

Morelia,Michoacan.Is Morelia safe to go?Does anybody from US

live there? What's the situation overthere?Is there a site where to obtain updated info?Many thanks,caravallo.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
1. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

For 1,200 USD a month you can live almost anywhere in Mexico - Morelia isn't particularly cheap. The security situation in Michoacan is not good and it is singled out in the U.S: travel advisory for Mexico. There have been many shoot-outs throughout the state as well as in Morelia itself. You will see a lot of security whether it be speeding pick-ups of heavily armed Federales or just a young kid outside a shop with a machine gun. The chances of you being a victim of any violence remain small and if you are not worried by the sight of heavy weaponry then you'll probably be fine - but there are many other places in Mexico to consider.

Portland, OR
1 post
2. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

what areas in mexico do you think are particularly attractive AND safe for retirees in mexico. we saw the yahoo posting about morelia but are intrigued by your comment. i love oaxaca and would like your take on it as a place to retire.

thanks,

terrell in pdx

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

Everyone will have different opinions. Oaxaca is a beautiful place to visit and there's plenty to do and see nearby. It also has a good climate. For me personally its drawbacks for living there would be that it is not well positioned with only a limited air service and too far from Mexico City (for the best health-care, shopping, business, and the airport!). It is also prone to disruption by protests perhaps more than any other place in Mexico and for me it's a bit too rustic. I should imagine it's a pretty cheap place to live though - cheaper than Morelia,

I obviously like Querétaro (as I live here!) because it has the historic feel in the center but all the modern conveniences of box stores, cinemas and good schools for my kids - and is remarkably clean and safe. Plus just 3 hours from Mexico City which I can easily do as a day trip. (Having said that, it is a little TOO popular for my liking and I am moving to somewhere quieter - traffic is becoming a nightmare and it's getting very expensive.)

There are many nice cities in the center of Mexico. San Miguel is obviously the most popular for retirees although I prefer Guanajuato. But Puebla, Cuernavaca, San Luis (plus Morelia) could all be possibilities. Smaller places such as Patzcuaro, Tequisquiapan and Ajijic/Chapala are very popular with Americans. On the coast there are retirees in many places including Puerto Vallarta (or nearby) and Acapulco.

There are really hundreds of places that I would describe as "livable" - you just have to sort out what your priorities are!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
4. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

Here is a good site to watch to see what is going on in Mexico...be warned...it can be very very upsetting, and the photos unlike any you see in USA newspapers...

www.borderlandbeat.com/search…

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

Morelia is indeed a lovely large city BUT not many gringos & absolutely no Gringo organizations or much interplay,

If I was looking at year round my personal choice would be Summers in Patzcuaro with a growing gringo population & winters in Manzanillo or Zihuatanejo. Manzanillo has one of the lowest crime rates in The World far lower than any US city of comparable size. A lot larger than Zihua with more services o it would be my first choice.

Edited: 04 July 2010, 19:06
Morelia, Mexico
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
6. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

I'm currently traveling in Europe, so will be brief in my comments here. However, a few notes:

**My wife and I have lived nearly full-time in Morelia for more than two years. We feel perfectly safe there. There are lots of federal police and military seen in the city because it is the hometown of Mexico's President, there is a large military base there, and it is a staging area for forces conducting raids on drug growing areas and conduits outside of Morelia.

**The rare cases of drug violence in Morelia itself are between police and gangs, or among the gangs themselves. Civilians are not targeted. It must be like Chicago was when Capone and the Feds were fighting one another over booze running.

**There are not lots of expats in Morelia, but there are enough. My wife and I are in Morelia precisely because we want to experience Mexican culture and learn and use the language. Places with lots of expats in Mexico feel very much like living in the US--and if we wanted that, we could have stayed there! One gets a much different taste of Mexico in a place like Morelia--it is actually Mexican! ;)

**It is incorrect that there are NO expat groups in Morelia. I am President of Club de Señores which has been an expat group there for more than 20 years. That is Señores--not seniors! No age restrictions or other restrictions apply. The group is mostly American, but includes Canadians, Germans and other nationalities as well. The common denominator is that everyone speaks English at the group meetings. Feel free to contact me for more details.

**In closing, let me say that my wife and I love living in Morelia, and I recommend it as a place to visit or to live!

Jim

montreal
3 posts
7. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

i have tons of relatives in mexico particularily in morelia, and to be honest, i find it an extremely safe and beautiful city. ok, its not the cheapest one in mexico to live in, but u get historical beauty plus modernity bundled into one. they have good food, friendly and charming people, and millions of things to do. there arent too many expats bc they prefer to be hidden altho back in the day they used to meet at the holiday inn for drinks once a week lol... its nice, theres a bit of everything, greek restaurants, a lebanese cultural club , karate classes, etc... im actually considering moving permanently within the next few months. other cities mentioned (queretaro, patzcuaro, san miguel de allende, guanajuato...) are all beautiful but a bit too historical i find with not much going on. sure u want to retire in picturesque places, but dont u want to be able to go to the cinema and maybe event to starbucks once in a while? hey, at least morelia gives u that option....oh and by the way, its 3 hrs from mexico city and 4 hours from ixtapa, the lesser-known beautiful beach area :) good luck!

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

taloul - 6 cinemas and 8 Starbucks in Querétaro :))

Morelia, Mexico
Level Contributor
42 posts
45 reviews
9. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

I agree with almost everything you said Taloul. Morelia is a great blend of old and new; a small walkable central historic area, but a city large enough to support the likes of Costco, Walmart, Sears, Home Depot, Office Depot, Liverpool, etc.; as you said, lots to do with four large multiplex cinemas (Morelia is the HQ of Cinépolis--the largest cinema chain in Mexico) plus a symphony, theater, music conservatory; enough foreigners that expats don't get lonely, but an authentic Mexican culture. I could go on and on, but as you can see I'm pretty much sold on Morelia.

We do have some Starbucks here, but I prefer to get my coffee drinks at places like Cafe Europa or Lillians--both multi-store Mexican chains with great coffee, as well as some smaller cafes.

The expat group that used to meet at the Holiday Inn now meets at Club Campestre--an in-town golf club--every Wednesday at 5:00. That is the Club Señores, operating for more than 20 years here in Morelia.

You mentioned that you find Morelia "extremely safe." It was the suggestion that Morelia is NOT safe that started this whole dialogue. Thanks for saying what virtually everyone I know living here feels--this is a SAFE place to visit and/or live.

Saludos,

Jim

Edited: 03 September 2010, 14:30
texas
Level Contributor
157 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: Safety in Morelia,Michoacan.........

I have been planning on coming to Morelia..studying every post and news article I can find. It is hard to ignore the red warning sentence at the top of theTripadvisor Morelia forum. From what the local posters are saying, it sounds safe enough in town. What about a day trip to Patzquaro? Please keep us posted on what the real story is...thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Morelia