We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

I won't take too much time to rant about my experience with this company, but I would highly recommend you choose anyone BUT this company. From the very start I was frustrated with trying to deal with these people, from there so-called "toll free, anywhere in the world phone number" as I tried to call it from Budapest, Hungary, a "modern" city, and the number they had on ALL the documents AND website, was a non-functioning number. Even when I attempted calling collect, multiple times, at various times of day, I was always met with an answering machine. When I tried, with ALL the required paperwork and more, to make 2 claims, I was made to wait MANY months, and then one was NOT paid due to some feeble excuse in their "fine print" regulations. AVOID this company at all costs!!!. The DO NOT care or are honest.

Thanx

Missionary Steve

84 replies to this topic
Victoria, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

I dealt with One World Assist and had no trouble having my out of pocket money reimbursed. It was refunded to the penny and we were dealing with $ and pesos in the paperwork. Not a problem.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

So much for consistency. They were VERY hard to deal with, especially when they had listed the wrong (toll free) number on ALL their paperwork and websites. If I hadn't tried leaving one number out, I would never have reached them. The direct line always gave me a answering machine. Fr someone who might not have the tenacity I do, it could very easily ruin their vacation experience. And so it goes...

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

What was the 'fine print' problem on the claim? I have BCAA travel insurance but have never had to use it.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

Maybe the problem was that the OP did not read the fine print - ?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
2,332 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

I wonder what the injury was too. It says the claims may be invalid if they can travel home to have treatment. Also it looks like there is an extra '0' for some reason on my card in the 1-800 phone number. Typo I guess.

Vancouver, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

I was told that, in their contract, only one treatment could be covered for the same issue. I was diagnosed with Bronchitis in Jerusalem and received a prescription. To weeks later it appeared to progress or became a separate issue of Pneumonia 2 weeks later when I was in Switzerland where I had blood work done and was prescribed a stronger anti-biotic. So, in the same reasoning, I guess if I was treated for high blood pressure, then had a heart attack, I would not be covered?! Anyway, watch out for the "fine print". I guess we take for granted that a "reputable" company like CAA would sub-contract a reliable insurer.

Cavet Emptor

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

I am sympathetic to the difficulties you experienced, but I don't "get" how "the fine print" makes them not reputable - ?

To draw a parallel, our extended health insurance through my husband's employer covers eyeglasses or contact lens, up to a stated maximum per year - BUT the "fine print" is that you can only make one claim per calendar year. I was not aware of this at one point, bought six months worth of contact lenses, was paid the claim, and then six months later, still in the same calendar year, submitted another claim. Both claims together were under the total allowable for the year, but the second one was declined because it did not meet their T&C. Of course I was a bit miffed (and in future, I made sure to buy contacts 12 mos. at a time and make one claim) - but I would hardly call them disreputable because of it. It was my own fault for not being aware of the terms and conditions of the policy.

it seems that most of the time, the complaints that are posted in these forums about "fine print" - usually for travel insurance and rental cars contracts - arise because the poster did not read the fine print when they made the purchase. A lot of the time, people seem to be shopping around based solely on price, and do not stop to check if they are comparing apples and oranges. You chose to buy a policy that had limits on the coverage - why is this the insurance company's, or CAA's, fault?

That said, the warnings about mis-prints and slow customer service are good to know about, and I am glad for the reminder to re-read the fine print of the policy I've bought for my upcoming trip. I have never noticed anything about only one claim per illness in any of the policies I have used (have never used Oneworld Assist though), but I do tend to skim through it fairly quickly (being that they are not exactly scintillating reading material), so thank you for the heads-up!

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

Hello everyone,

Your posts have been brought to my attention and I’ve read all your comments. First, let me thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and opinions. I've reviewed your feedback with One World Assist (OWA) and we hope the following will answer your questions regarding OWA’s global toll-free number.

According to Juliet Zacks, OWA’s Director of Claims Administration, the global toll-free phone number 800-663-00399 found on OWA’s website, documents and wallet card is intended to be an 11-digit number, as opposed to the 10-digit North American telephone number. An asterisk (*) appears with the number in order to direct users to dialing instructions on how to use the 11-digit phone number when placing a call to Canada from overseas.

OWA has received no indication that their toll-free phone number is malfunctioning as phone calls have been received on both their North American and global toll-free numbers regularly.

It’s important to know that placing a call to Canada differs depending on where you’re calling from and can sometimes be confusing. Therefore, it’s a good idea to know what to dial before leaving for your trip.

To view dialing instructions please visit the Travel Insurance section on www.bcaa.com or the OWA website at oneworldassist.com/insureds/insuredsIndex.htm

OWA also confirms it does not use an answering machine, but like most companies, uses an automated telephone system to direct calls to the appropriate customer service representative. When telephone prompts are followed appropriately, callers will reach a live customer service representative as OWA representatives are available 24/7 for medical emergencies.

OWA is committed to making it easy for policy holders to make an insurance claim and providing high level and personalized service to their customers. A few of you have shared some information about your medical incidents in your posts. If you would like to discuss your particular medical claim in more detail, please contact OWA.

If you have questions regarding the travel medical insurance you purchased from BCAA or, if you’re planning a trip and are interested in learning more about our travel medical insurance please contact us at 1-800-564-6222 to speak to a BCAA representative or visit us at www.bcaa.com

Sincerely,

Michele Buttle

BCAA Associate Vice President, Insurance

Duncan
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

Well Michelle, Feb. 17, 2011

Right at this moment, in Bonaire you have 2 customers that are really pissed off at BCAA. We got an itinerary that stated 2 of our 3 return flights have been cancelled Feb. 11, 2011.

Feb. 15 When I look up our confirmtion code, I only see the flight that will get us back to Houston, but not to Seattle and Victoria flights. I emailed with concerns.

We recieved a new itinerary, however the confirmation code (24 hours later) still does not show us our filghts.

We are spending too much of our time of our vaction worring if we are going to make it home or not. Your emails replied with the Continential phone number saying deal with it youself. REALLY??? What am I paying BCAA for then?

What good are you? I have to find a phone that will allow me to call Continental and Alaska Air and ensure we have Reservation on the return flights which BCAA booked and seemed to have cancelled on us, no matter what the new itenerary says.

No ownership was taken on this issue. We have no confidence at all in the fact that we will have flights when we get to the airport. So now I have to deal with this myself. And if I don't have flights??? You took my money and I have no flights. So guess wha,t it is all insured by VISA, so you will be dealing with them when I get home. I will report that I did not get the service I paid for and they will handle it from there.

Vancouver, Canada
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA

Dear Kayak3,

Sorry this has happened to you. We would like to help and will need to get some information so we can escalate this and get it resolved immediately.

The information we need from you are personal in nature and we don't suggest that you post them on this discussion forum.

Can you try sending me a direct message to my TripAdvisor account?

Or, would you be able to contact BCAA directly from where you are?

You can reach us the following ways:

1. By phone at 1-800-663-1956 (if you’re in North America) to reach a BCAA customer service rep.

2. If you’re unable to use the toll-free number please call our head office collect at (604) 268-5000 and our receptionist will ensure they find a BCAA customer service rep to speak with you

3. via email by going to our website bcaa.com and clicking on "Contact us" at the top and then clicking on "Contact us by email" in the “Online” feature box

The information we need are:

- first and last names of you and anyone else you're travelling with

- itinerary number(s)

- a telephone number or email where you can be reached

Again, I would suggest that you avoid posting your personal info directly on this discusion forum. Sorry about this experience you're having. I hope I've been able to get in touch with you in time.

Niela Melanio

BCAA Public Affairs Advisor

Reply to: Trip Insurance - Avoid Oneworld Assist and BCAA
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted