We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIA Rail - Economy versus other classes?

Dublin
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
VIA Rail - Economy versus other classes?

Hi there,

We will be taking the VIA rail train from Jasper to Vancouver next July. I was just wondering about the differences between the various classes.

Economy

Sleeper Berth

Cabin for two

Does anybody know what time the seats turn into beds in the sleeper class?

I presume the Cabin for two you can have bed time whatever time you want.

The thing about it is i am thinking about going with the Economy Class as might get to see more scenery.

Daylight will be long in July and i don't think i will get a whole lot of sleep anyway. I'm 6 ft 4.

Is there anything else you miss by taking Economy Class apart from the beds and the meals?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,416 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIA Rail - Economy versus other classes?

You can still have dining car meals if you travel in economy - it's just that they are not included in your fare like they are in sleeper class, and you get a bill at the end of the meal, just like in a restaurant.

I have travelled in economy on VIA on many overnight trips - Jasper to Winnipeg and vice versa (many times, including many times with children), Vancouver to Jasper, and Montreal to Moncton. It's very similar to taking a red-eye or trans-Atlantic flight. I am quite happy to do it for one night but wouldn't do it for longer trips; I find I can sleep well enough to function the next day (albeit the night's sleep is a bit broken), and then I can recover with a good night's sleep in my destination. The only time we ever booked sleeping car accommodation was when we were travelling with a 9 mo. old and a 3 year old; we decided that a good night's sleep was mandatory, so booked a section (upper and lower berths). We discovered that sharing a twin-size bed with a small child is not really conducive to a good night's sleep so on trips after that, we all went in economy.

Economy and sleeper/berth classes all include access to a dome car; I don't think there would be any clear advantage in any one class in terms of seeing the scenery.

I always take some food and beverages with me on the train, so that I can manage some meals/snacks myself, without having to buy stuff from the concession (mostly junk and pre-packaged foods), and usually treat myself to a dinner in the dining car.

2. Re: VIA Rail - Economy versus other classes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2013, 05:21