We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

We are catching the ferry early September from Prince Rupert, but can't decide whether to hop off at Haines and drive north on Haines Hwy or go on the Skagway and take the Klondike route. Anybody have some advice?? We'd like to get to Whitehorse, and Dawson City before heading south again.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

Hi phillrae ~

I would suggest you post on the Alaska forum (USA) because there are very few posters on the Yukon Territory forum (Haines, Whitehorse and Dawson City) and the closest posters will be on the Alaska Forum (Skagway).

There will be Alaskan posters who know this area and will be able to help you. They will also tell you what to watch out for re: weather, road conditions, isolation because the YT will be very similar to some areas of AK. This area is definitely the road less travelled.

I can tell you that you will have a very expensive prospect trying to do a one way rental from Skagway USA into Canada. It would cost you a huge surcharge as the car would have to be returned to point of origin. You could if you returned it to Alaska though.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 01:13
Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

Thanks for that. We are hiring the car in Vancouver and driving north via Vancouver Island and ferry trip, so rental won't be a problem. I will post on Alaskan forum. We're primarily just trying to decide which road will be the most scenic...silly thought when everything is obviously so beautiful I know...

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
55,463 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

Very good. Do check out with the rental agency though if you are permitted or not to take the car on gravel roads. That is usually not permitted. So in your question to the Alaska folks, ask about that, it will be important to know. You'd think the main highways up north would be paved and probably will be, but you never know.

4. Re: Haines or Skagway to Whitehorse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2013, 05:28