We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT refund

Toronto
5 posts
Save Topic
VAT refund

I am a Canadian citizen. But I have another citizenship of the country where I reside. I spent 6 months in Canada and made a lot of shopping, and traveling back to the country of my residence soon. They told me that I can't claim a VAT refund while leaving Canada since I'm a Canadian citizen! Would you please tell me whether it's doable or nor not?! Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,861 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VAT refund

I don't know what a VAT is... but the GST refund was phased out back in 2007. Visitors cannot get any tax refund upon leaving Canada whether you're a Canadian citizen or not.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,537 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VAT refund

There are some provisions for getting a rebate for some taxes under certain conditions. The following government website outlines the necessary conditions. It is for non-residents, no idea if Canadian citizens would qualify as a non resident.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/visitors/

Here is a non government website with links that may answer your question.

www.taxtips.ca/gst/gstvisitorrebate.htm

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: VAT refund

The GST/HST refund is now largely restricted to foreign conventions, so it's very unlikely you'd qualify.

Also, it sounds like you spent long enough in Canada that you might be considered a "resident" of Canada for tax purposes during your time here, even if you maintained a home abroad. This would have implications for income tax. Tax residency is complex (the official guide, cra-arc.gc.ca/E/…README.html , is not light reading) so you may want to consult a Canadian tax professional.

Mentioned in this post
Canada
Canada
North America
Toronto
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: VAT refund

Thank you all for the replies.

5. Re: VAT refund

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 11:18