We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

we are going to victoria from oct 21-25 and our planning on renting a car the whole time. We just discovered we have enough airmiles for this and would only have to pay the taxes (42.00). Or so I thought.....

When I originally looked I used the dates but never bothered with the pickup drop off times as I was just checking to see if we had enough. And the website said we needed 825 airmiles. We were a few short so we collected some more and I went on today to actuall book.

We arrive at the airport at 1:00, so I set the pickup time for 1:30 pm

We depart at 6:00 so I set the drop off time for 4:00 pm

When the results came up I noticed I needed 1050 airmiles. I was confused so I played around with the pickup drop off times and realized that as long as the times were the same are the drop off was earlier than the pickup they only need 825 airmiles. But as soon as you make the drop off time more than one hour later than your pickup time.... They charge you airmiles as if you are using a whole extra day.

This seems crazy to me that they are going to charge me 200 extra airmiles for having the car 2.5 hours longer than 4 days. I'm guessing it's just the way the website is wired. Anyone know a way around it? We only have 866 airmiles and I don't think we can collect more in the short amount of time.

If I just set the pickup/drop off times both for 2:00 pm. Will the company care if I pick up he car an hour earlier and drop it off an hot later? Anyone ever done this? Do you get dinged?

Any help or insight would be great.... Thanks!

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
27,207 posts
15 reviews
13 helpful votes
1. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

Even if you were paying for this rental the regular way, without air miles, you'd be required to pay extra for those 2.5 hours. The rental agency probably won't care if you pick the car up earlier ... but they likely will charge you for the later drop off.

The other thing you need to remember, is that the air miles pay for the car rental only ... not for the insurance. So be prepared to pay for the daily insurance ... which will add up quickly and likely negate the deal of the air miles.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
102 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

Thank you.... So it sounds like I need to just try to keep collecting if i don't want to bring my car back within the 24 hour deadline. I guess I never realized this was a car rental problem and just assumed it was a airmiles bug.

As far as the insurance I realize this, but we already have insurance with autopak that covers as well as our credit card so we should be good.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
69,660 posts
66 reviews
92 helpful votes
3. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

Car rentals work on a 24 hour day. There will be a grace period. Ask what it is. But if you want to take the car back outside that grace period, it will cost a day's rate.

Regina, Sask...
Level Contributor
16 posts
40 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

Insurance: check with your personal insurance carrier.

In sask my insurance (package policy) covers a rental car, but make sure to add on "loss of use" coverage. This is what you will get nailed for if the the car is in an accident. Rental agency will charge you for everyday the car is out of service.

I added this onto my coverage at home for around $10.00 for a week!

I was also advised to add extra coverage for personal injury, in Ontario, there is no at fault, so you could be sued.

West Grey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
86,023 posts
107 reviews
580 helpful votes
5. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

The OP was travelling in October of last year.

6. Re: Using Airmiles to rent car..... Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2017, 02:17