We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Worry more about being mugged by police.

I was out near Playa Zicatela last night smoking a cigar listening to the waves. I made sure that I was still in a lite area so that I would not get in any risky situation. Down the beach, I see coming at me five very dark black figures. I soon realize it was 5 police officers walking the beach looking for any issues. I did not feel any need to be concerned. I am a 55 year old man that is calm, innocent, and 100% sober so what did I have to be concerned about.

The five officers surrounded me, flashing lights in my eyes and asking me if was smoking marijuana. One male officer started going through all my pockets looking for drugs while the other interrogated me. Another one grab my cigar from me and they started to smell it. I must have said "only tobacco" 10 times. After a couple more minutes of being spun around, they told me to go back to my hotel.

When I got back to the hotel, I opened my zipped pocket to realize that they had taken all my money. About $35 US.

The police robbed me! Some people have no shame.

9 replies to this topic
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
371 reviews
188 helpful votes
1. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Another way of looking at it is that it could have been worse.

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
2. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Oh I have perspective on the events, but still found it noteworthy. Are you saying that I (and the tourists and people of PE) should be grateful that the police are only robbing innocent tourists rather than wrongfully arresting, beating, or executing them? I am gratitude that I am not in jail, a hospital or a grave. I can see every side of it and thought people should know. Change does not happen by staying silent.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
24,519 posts
124 reviews
171 helpful votes
3. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Thanks for posting - yes there are some

Crooked cops there .

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
156 reviews
72 helpful votes
4. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

This never happens when traveling in Europe. Mexico is just gotten worse. I’ll be with my wife and won’t be walking around at night but this is so annoying.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
460 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

#1 that does not justfy it

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
156 reviews
72 helpful votes
6. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

What time at night was this and where were you? Only my first day here and we walked 4.5 miles from Zicatela to La Punta and didn’t even see a cop.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
232 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
7. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Just a heads up about walking Zicatela to La Punta. People have been mugged along the lonelier stretches of the beach in the daytime. It's rare, but it's still prudent to not have any valuables on you.

Edited: 1 year ago
Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
156 reviews
72 helpful votes
8. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

Thanks for the heads up. It’s two miles each way walking so we’ll take a taxi from now on. There is a couple staying here at Bungalows Zicatela that say the Zicatela area they like much better and that prices in La Punta were generally higher which surprised me. First impression of La Punta yesterday was that I liked it was funky but found far more junky than Zicatela. Personally I wouldn’t want to stay there.

Monument, Colorado
Level Contributor
232 posts
156 reviews
72 helpful votes
9. Re: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Save

FYI..We were in Puerto Escondido for 24 nights and walked to La Punta many times. On the beach is best because there are lots of people during the day. We walked next to the beach along the pathways also with no issues. Very few people were even around. Never had ANY safety issues in 25 days. It’s quite safe.

Reply to: BEWARE - Mugged by the Police last night on Playa Zicatela
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Escondido
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.