We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs Question

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Customs Question

I'm flying from Chicago to Ixtapa and I must stop in Mexico City. I will go through Customs in Mexico City correct, so I can purchase alcohol in the airport to bring with me to Ixtapa without declaring correct? Just curious if that's a better idea than stopping in Ixtapa on way to hotel.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Customs Question

Ah, the plot thickens. So its a honeymoon. Well then, one of you could wait in the cab while the other buys the goods, unless you don't think you can be separated that long. As for "everything I have on me would be in my luggage", there are laws about nudity even in Mexico. LOL. I never travel with anything in my luggage that can't be replaced while on vacation with cash or a charge card. So all cash, charge cards, IDs and passport are in my possession no matter where my luggage is. Everything else is just "stuff". But as Snowbird said, you are close to some other options. I would just grab a cold one at the little store just outside the airport, enjoy the taxi ride to the Capella, check in and have room service bring you want you need. Then when you have enough strength and desire to venture out, go to the marina liquor store for reinforcements.

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Customs Question

I just don't want to lose all the cocaine in my luggage Ted!

Just messing and I appreciate all the advice and I had thought about that as far as sending the wife in while I chill in the cab. I'm pretty pumped for this trip. Her and I are both from Chicago, so we are used to urban life and go go go, so we are pumped for this. Everything I have heard about this place sounds incredible. We previously went to Nuevo Vallarta on a trip together at an AI years ago, so I'm pretty excited to get away from the AI scene this time around and experience some culture.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Customs Question

Congrats on the marriage. I couldn't think of a better destination to spend a honeymoon. Make sure you get up and out and take a taxi into Zihua for some great dining. Beside all the terrific ma pop restaurants, should you want a nice mid price upscale experience with great food and a dynamite view, try Espuma in Zihua.

Enjoy your Honeymoon

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Customs Question

Thanks Ted. You live there or just frequent it? Is Amuleto worth it? We almost stayed there, but went with Capella instead, but didn't know if the restaurant was worth going to.

Gurnee, Illinois
Level Contributor
420 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Customs Question

You can make it really simple and buy a couple bottles at Costco and put them into your checked bags.

We've gotten lazy over the years and usually just wait until we go out to dinner in Ixtapa the first night to buy our stash. The local stores have lots of mixers and a nice supply of alcohol. We find the prices to be good and it is more fun to shop in the local stores than the duty free store.

Alternatively you drive through Zih on the way to your hotel. There are several places to buy drinks that are right on the main highway. One of you could stay in the cab and the other could run into the store.

Chicago
Level Contributor
78 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Customs Question

I'm a big fan of Chianti, so might bring a couple bottles of that, b/c not sure I will find that down there, though I also do want to try some of the wines they have out there, which are more local or south American, so definitely plan to stop during the trip and like your suggestion MMouse regarding taking a couple bottles to get us through the first day or two. We are taking the 1 am flight out of Chicago to get there early, so probably be a lazy first day.

UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
2,808 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Customs Question

Ted...you crack me up!!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,622 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Customs Question

Wandalsh,Yes, Amuleto is another good one, so either would make for a nice "special" dining experience. And Mexico now makes some very good red wines. I would give you some names had I ever taken the time to remember them. We usually have a taxi take us to Bodega (Cosco/Sam's type market) and buy a variety of local wines. You'll also find some of the familiar South American wines you'll find back in Chicago. I'm sure you can find most of these at the Marina liquor store as well.

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Customs Question

Been there, done that -- the AreoMexico redeye. You can also get pesos at a cash machine in MC and save yourself that hassle later. The wait between flights in MC is the only part of the trip that gets annoying but once you step out of the plane in Z and have the whole day ahead of you, it's heavenly.

San Jose
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Customs Question

If you pack it in make sure it doesn't push your bags over any weight limits Extra fees may offset any possible savings.