We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ixtapa cellular service

Which Ixtapa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington...
1 post
Save Topic
Ixtapa cellular service

We are planning a trip to Ixtapa (from US) the end of Jan., 2013 and would like to keep in touch with home. What cellular service currently works there?

Thanks in advance.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

I have a Mexican cell for local calls. You need to call your provider for international rates as each is different. Mine charges 0.99 cents per minute so I only do Skype which computer to computer is free or 2.5 cents per minute computer to a land line back to the US,

You can also buy prepaid international minutes that you can use at most public phones in Mexico but Skype IMO is best.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

PS lots of Phone "Casitias" around town that charge around 5 or 6 pesos per minute for calls to the US/Canada Occasionally you see rates as cheap as 3 pesos per minute.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

AT&T and Verizon both have coverage in the area.

I use an AT&T prepaid GoPhone for both local and international calls.

Keith

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

We use our Sprint. We just contact them before our trip and have them upgrade our service to "international calling" for our time there.

Illinois
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

I am looking at getting a iphone5 with At&t service. Labrat - Do you think that will work? I'm not familiar with At&t's GoPhone...i'll look into that too.

Ted61 - I had Sprint last time I was there, and had no service, but it may have been the particular phone I was using.

Thanks everyone for your responses

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
1,557 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

I don't think you could have had a phone much cheaper than the basic one I use. I get mine from Peddler when he throws his old one away. Not sure if it made a difference, but we were staying in Ixtapa and I don't recall having to use it in Zihua. Are you sure you had international calling?

Cottage Grove...
Level Contributor
186 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

Hi Labrat,

Where did you purchase your go phone? I have been looking at plans on-line, did you do pay as you go? Any more info with your phone experience would be appreciated!!!!

Thanks

Minnesota
Level Contributor
5,657 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

ta42467,

The Girlfriend uses her IPhone in Ixtapa. She has to shut off data roaming due to the VERY high expense, but as a phone works fine.

Bubbles,

(you were famous in my high-school)

I got the GoPhone from the AT&T online site. I pre-pay in $25 increments.

I don't need a cell phone for other than in-car emergencies or travel so it works great for me.

Keith

9. Re: Ixtapa cellular service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 04:16
Get answers to your questions about Ixtapa
Recent Conversations