We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is PA safe??

Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Assumption, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Is PA safe??

I am only asking this as my husband has many worries that ALL of Mexico is dangerous and that when we take our trip (4 weeks to the day!) that we have to stay at the resort because its not safe to leave! I personally think he is nutso but to ease his mind and worries safety feedback would be awesome!!!

I plan on leaving with or without him to explore and visit places and fufill my bucket list but i think that makes him even more nervous!

So, to get to the point is there any (other than obvious) safety tips or suggestions or warnings we should know about?

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,093 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is PA safe??

PA is in a gated community and very safe. We rent a car and drive everywhere. One year we put over 1000 miles on the car. We love to get out and explore.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is PA safe??

To be honest, I don't want to denigrate PA but it's one the most benign areas you could pick. It's basically a gated private community of non-Mexican expats who own condos and homes. There is a large marina there with large boats to match (which means $$$$$). So it's definitely very insular and protected compared to other areas in the vicinity. What am I saying? Yes it's pretty safe.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is PA safe??

being fearful of a safe area is called paranoia. the drug cartel stuff is a long way away from the yucatan.

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is PA safe??

yes...it's safe. The parts of Mexico that are having problems now are closer to our home in Minneapolis than they are to PA. So...it's as safe as anywhere. Now, could I get shot looking for drugs in a bad part of town here...sure...could that happen in MX...sure....I guess it depends on what you're up to :-)

Assumption, Illinois
Level Contributor
146 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is PA safe??

I personally have no fear and know that all the bad stuff you hear is closer to the border... Hell even the Gov't travel website says NOTHING about resort areas on the Yucatan but my husband is, yes PARANOID!!!

WE went to Jamaica last year and he never mentioned 1 time about Jamaica being dangerous( which where we went wasn't and I felt completely safe as did he)

I am basically just going to print off this and hand it to him and say "here now chill the hell out!!"

Now on to more important things like:

1. which is the best block to be in at the Cat as far as a Room with a view and a room that isn't falling apart?

2. Where can I go horseback riding thru the jungle and beach?

3. Where can I find a good Booze cruise?

4. where to go to Parasail?

And lastly what are some great local things to do to experience the local culture??

Now, those are important things to worry about!!! :()

Park Rapids...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is PA safe??

We have been to Jamaica. I felt 3X unsafe there as I do In PA. No worries. We take our kids here all the time. I surely would not even consider taking them if I had any reservations!! As you enter the village, you will see the gates and guards and hopefully that will put him at ease. As naturguy said - I feel more unsafe walking around downtown at home in Minnesota that I ever do in PA!!

minneapolis, mn
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Grand Marais
Level Contributor
1,039 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is PA safe??

Just a point of info for you. When parasails meet the end of their legal lifespan in the US, they get re-sold in other markets...guess where!

I would never advise a friend to parasail in the area....had a friend who had to rescue a submerged parasailor who's chute had failed off of PA...glad I wasn't there for the fiasco.

Park Rapids...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is PA safe??

Thanks for that tip naturguy! My husband has thought about parasailing many times when we are there, and just never has followed through. I will tell him about this and maybe that will change his mind.

ny
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is PA safe??

I stayed there for a month in January

It was very safe . Drove all over

You must see playa del Carmen

5th ave

Don't miss Tulun, the ruins and the town

Walk around and have lunch or dinner there