We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Doctors?

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Doctors?

We are'nt going to EDSS till next year but thought I'd ask about doctors while I think of it.

A couple of years ago we stayed in Cancun (The La Blanc). 3 days after arrival, my husband came out in an awful rash that looked like whipmarks. They quickly spread over his torso (we got some very funny looks!).

It had never happened before. We could'nt think what could have caused it. He had tried some Asian food the night before and had brushed through some foliage at a shopping complex earlier in the day. Anyway, the hotel got a doctor to him very quickly and he had an injection and course of tablets with strict instructions to ring at once if he got short of breath.

DH was fine and we were very impressed with the care given by the doctor and hotel.

Sorry, this is a bit long!

Is there medical assistance at hotel or on call nearby?

Ta, Sandie B

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
325 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Doctors?

There is a doctor on the resort at EDSS. When I was there two years ago a lady had some sort of heat stroke or something and I remember they had a little mini clinic where he was stationed. I want to say it was near the main lobby.

I have super sensitive skin and break out with eczema rashes at the slightest provocation from any number of things including sun over exposure, detergent, perfumes soaps you name it! One thing that I always try to bring with me on vacation is a bar of Aveeno Oatmeal Soap. It really helps with rashes,itching etc and can clear up my eczema without prescription meds. Just something to look into just in case for your hubby.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Doctors?

stay out of the brush down there unless you know what you are doing as there is some icky stuff that grows there. You may assume that in any tropical area.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Doctors?

Hi,

Thankyou for info regarding doctors at EDSS.

Glad to know there is one on site. We've never needed medical assistance while abroad before. It was a bit worrying and a relief that it was so efficiently sorted out.

As I said, we were puzzled as to what caused it. We were trying out all the little Asian tasters the night before, and DH had to squeeze past a crowd and brushed through foliage earlier in the day.

First thing in the morning there were just a few weals and he took a anti histimin we carry for bites, but they spread really quickly. I dragged him off to ask for help at lunch time. Initially, they were just polite when we showed them the marks on his legs. The looks on their faces when I made him whip his shirt of in the lobby!!!! They reeled back horrified. Looked like I'd given him forty lashes!!!!!

We would avoid jungly undergrowth anyway, you never know what's living there!

Ta, Sandie B

Manchester, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Doctors?

A friend of mine once had the same symptons after eating asian food - it turned out he was allergic to some of the different mushrooms.

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Doctors?

There is always a doctor either at or on call at all resorts.

Brookfield...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Doctors?

In addition to the on site doctors, there is a clinic in Playa staffed by American and I believe, one or two British doctors that would be an option.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Doctors?

Please don't rule out a food allergy. it is unusual that contact with a plant on the surface of the skin will lead to a systemic reaction that you are describing. usually it would be more confined to the exposed area. allergies to foods can and will produce wheals. it might be a good idea to have some Benadryl with you next time. this is coming from someone who knows allergies and anaphylaxis unfortunately very well.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1,510 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Doctors?

Hi!

Thankyou to everyone for your info.

It's reassuring to know that the area is well covered for medical care. Particulary as the DH had a stent fitted in his heart 6 years ago. He is fine now, there's been no health issues since then other than the allergic reaction.

Hi skeletonbreath,

We will take your advice and take some Benedryl and DH now accepts it might be a good idea to avoid the Asian cuisine. We shall also act a lot quicker if it happens again with other ingredient we are unaware of.

Sandie B

9. Re: Doctors?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 05:41