We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Dallas, Texas
13 posts
Save Topic
Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Are the Royal Yucatan Suites far from the beach? About how far in walking minutes? Also, it says you have a kayak landing...is this just so you can kayak around the lagoon? Are the kayaks available all the time and stay at your suite? Is the upgrade from the other Palladium areas worth it? Thanks!

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,160 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Hi Courtney,

The Royal suites are about a 15 minute walk once you know the shortcuts. There is a Royal golf cart available to bring you to the Kantenah beach.

Is it worth the upgrade? I have stayed all over the resort and I love the amenities that come with the Royal including the El Jardin restaurant and the Royal lobby and Royal treatment. If location is more important then you may want to look at another area. There is no bad area on the Palladium complex.

Edited: 30 August 2013, 21:27
Dallas, Texas
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Thanks for the reply! If you have time for another response, are you able to eat at the a la carte restaurants every evening and do you have to have reservations? Also, what is the beach like? Is it wide and sandy with beautiful clear water? If it is, I think I can handle a 15 minute walk to get there, but if it is really rocky and not very swimmable, maybe not. Thanks again!

ladysmith, bc...
Destination Expert
for Akumal
Level Contributor
1,901 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

being royal you also have the use of the royal carts that will take you right to the royal beach - it's a separate area right on the beach only for use of the royal guests - there is wait service as well - and bali beds

and yes the kayaks stay right at your room - if there is not one there when you arrive just ask your butler

yes you can eat at the ala cartes every night. you don't need a reservation but as you have that option during high season if you eat later than 7pm is best to make them. you are seated on arrival instead of waiting in line.

the beach is lovely. it's not white powder like in punta cana. there is coral out in the water which makes it excellent for snorkeling. there is also a salt water pool where they have bali beds as well.

I always stay in the royal and love the service and the food at el jardin is great (get the coconut shrimp mmm)

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

There are few perks that go with the Royal that I really appreciate (kayaks that go with the Mayan suites is not one of them - you can only go around lagoon - everyone can go kayak in the sea every day for 1 hour - and Mayan suites are ground level accommodation which we do not like):

- free wifi internet in the rooms;

-free use of spa - good early evening or rainy day activity if you go in the winter when the sun sets early;

- huge jacuzzi on a balcony;

- better food at ElJardin - lobster unlimited.

They have more perks with it

We usually stay at the junior suites there and they are really nice. Also stayed at all the parts of the GP and would not hesitate to stay at any if there is a good reason to save the money.

The sea is mixed rocks and sand. Some trips we had more sand, some less, there is usually some nice place without the rocks to get into the water. The best thing about GP beach is no need to play a towel game. The amount of the shade is huge and you can come any time there and still find a lounger in the shade. There is even more shade around the huge pools. It is very rare in Riviera Maya to have such a good palapa availability.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

The royal pool is also a very lovely place to hang out, with the best bartender. This is only for royal guests. I think the drinks were all much better at the royal bars than elsewhere. It is a short waleyk from the royal buildings, which are by the White Sands section, to a transquil seaside walkway that takes you over to the saltwater pool. the long, white sand beach is beyond that. really nice walk, esp. in early morning.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

For me the $450 extra for 10 nights over Kantenah jr. suite was worth it simply for the Bali beds in royal beach section. 2 hour nap in those and you'll know why. I like getting the free pillow menu as well since the standard pillows I'd equate to sleeping on hay sack filled with concrete. The ability to make reservations is nice too although I still feel uncomfortable when I get the stares from people who have been waiting as I walk right in

Dallas, Texas
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Thanks everyone for all the great insight. Can anyone compare this resort to Catalonia Royal Tulum? It seems that the dining at CRT is not up to speed with the Royal Yucatan, but the beach just looks amazing. I think I am still having a bit of a hurdle with how far the beach is from the rooms at Royal Yucatan. I am looking at Expedia for a flight/hotel package, and the prices between these two resorts are very comparable. And CRT is totally Adults only which I like also. Any thoughts or comments? Thanks!

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

We stayed at the CRT few years ago in September. It is a lovely resort on a very good beach, the food was actually good for our taste there as well. I would gladly go there again but my husband does not want to - the beach layout and nothing to do in the evenings are the reasons. There is no privacy on the beach at all. The loungers are placed in the rows with nothing between them and if someone is smoking next to you, it is right into your face. You can drug your loungers further away from the people but there is no shade outside of the palapa rows. We knew that before we went thanks to Trip Advisor and we went in the very low season with the 50% resort occupancy rate so it was OK. I liked the sea so much that I would go again, but only in the low season, the palapa wars are fierce there in the high season. In September the sut sets late so we would just stay on the beach - swimming, walking - till the sun sets at 8 pm and then go to bed shortly after after dinner.

When we are at the GP we do not really use the Royal area with the soft Bali beds anymore, it is very posh and private but we kind of got enough of it on the previous trips. We like to be closer to the sea under the palapa between the bushes and palms - so we just use the regular awesome northern part of the beach. Honestly I have never seen a beach with the better layout than GP - plenty of palapas interspersed with the flowering bushes and shady palms and trees. It is very peaceful.

Live music at all 4 lobbies in the evenings, different time and style. Live music party at 2 lobbies till 1 am every night. Disco till 3 am.

Ontario
Level Contributor
308 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Is the Royal beach area not on the water? Can you see the water? On a side note is there a beer selection at the Royal beach?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Yucatan Suites - far from the beach?

Royal section isn't on the beach, but some top floor rooms can get a sea view, from a distance. I must say that distance to beach didn't bother me cuz it was so pretty walking around this beautifully-landscaped resort. The drinks were best in the royal section, though and some more variety than in the regular resort. Bring a soft-sided cooler with you if you wanna be really lazy and just take your stuff from the fridge. The portable cooler is also handy if you are going to Akumal Beach or somewhere off the resort....