We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Starting a new thread with a post from another.....

We were staying in the MP for two weeks in January when the fence went up. I think Curt it was me who wrote on the Yahoo MP site that we went to dinner at 8 Tostadas and returned to find the fence (actually they tried at the SG to get us to pay to take a van back). We walked and went through the employee entrance, but it was a one shot deal. The next 2 nights, we walked the beach at night to go to dinner. Very dark and not an easy walk. The next 2 nights after that we took the golf type cart to the main entrance and walked to dinner across the bridge and returned the same way. I preferred the beach, my wife preferred the cart and road. It is dangerous, no sidewalks at the beginning when they drop you off, with cars and cabs coming and going through the main entrance. The walk is longer, not well lit and there are hazards like holes and slopes. I don't drink too much at dinner, but I can see someone falling down the unprotected slopes going over the bridge.

I went to look at the fence in the daytime. They bulldozed large mounds of dirt along the fence line and there is no way around it...I tried. Since all the parking in the future will be way out in a separate entrance off the main highway, they will not need that large parking garage. We were told it would become an office facility, but it's anyone's guess. Even before the fence went up, there were large berms put up along the parking garage with the beginning of trees and other plantings being put in. A large corrugated passageway is already going through the berm for workers and/or carts to travel through.

The biggest nonsense was the reason for the fence being thefts occurring at the Grand Mayan. NOBODY checked us when we took the beach route at night, so much for that reason. We walked right through the GM pool area and into the lobby. You could also walk, there being the sidewalk beginning at the GM to the GB, MP etc with no checks.

Senor Chavez, we were told, wants the whole complex to be like Disney World, where carts and boats, etc take you around, no cars, no buses. Can you imagine check in and out days when your luggage doesn't get to the right location...ugh. To get offsite, you would have to take their transportation to the highway, and then....??

BTW, plenty of people were still leaving to go eat offsite. Some by taxis, some by cart, then walking the road.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
111. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I have written to customer service at grupo mayan with no response after having had a safety issue at the grand mayan this past august 2011. Concierge had also asked me to write a letter that they said they would forward on my behalf, which I did. Instead of making the area more secure they have made the area more difficult for guests who enjoy walking. If it is an issue of security, who is preventing people from coming in from the beach? Also when we got our wristbands, they had put some of them on so loose that they could easily be slipped off. I asked for them to be tighter, and I was told "oh some guests like them looser so they can take them off when they are leaving the resort"..Now how safe is that?

California
Level Contributor
355 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
112. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

We just returned from the resort. You can walk through without any problem!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
620 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
113. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I am so glad that they have finally given up on the story of safety in the blocking of the road to the Sea Garden and beyond.

Perseverance by many has paid off!

michigan
Level Contributor
754 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
114. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

until they change it again!!!!

nothing seems to stay the same more than a few months!

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
115. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

If they have opened it up again, maybe our incident that had become quite dangerous actually did some good. Thank you to all the staff that helped us out that late night.

Seattle/Tacoma
Level Contributor
68 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
116. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

It was a pleasure to find the route open this visit, safer and more convenient. I agree that this may be a short term change. If this is resort is going to become "the Mexican Disneyland" as I have heard from more than one person here, the entire area may be walled in. We probably need to keep up the pressure with positive comments now so that point of entry and exit remains an option.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
117. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

I hope to see what' going on there early in 2012 now. Had to postpone my October trip till then. Will be glad if they have all the issues sorted out by then.

p.s. kellykk, even I prefer having my bracelet loose enough to take off for when walking about off the resort, so possibly OPCs don't bother me in various tourist cities in Mexico.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
118. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

Thanks for updates, I will be in Nuevo Nov 28 for a week and check it out .

119. Re: Fenced in Mayan Palace...WHY?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2012, 05:18
Get answers to your questions about Nuevo Vallarta