We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockies itinerary?!

delhi
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rockies itinerary?!

Hi,

My husband & I are planning to spend 5 nights in the Rockies as part of our 2 week Canada holiday. (2 N -Toronto, 3 N - Montreal, 4 N - Vancouver).

I wanted to know how should we spend the 5 nights..?

Option 1-

Day 1: Flight reachs Calagry at 10.30am - take 11.30 am shuttle to Lake Louise - 1 night @ Fairmont.

Date 2: Take 3pm shuttle to Jasper. 2 nights in Jasper.

Day 3: Explore Jasper either on own (but without car) or take day tour.

Day 4: Jasper to Banff via Icefield Parkway. Take Sun Dog tour. 2 nights in Banff.

Day 5: Explore Banff either on own (but without car) or take day tour.

Day 6: Take shuttle back to Calgary. Fly on to Vancouver.

Option 2 - 3 nights Banff & 2 nights Lake Louise:

Day 1: Land at Calgary at 5.50pm, take 6.30pm shuttle to Banff. 3 nights in Banff.

Day 2: Explore Banff either on own (but without car) or take day tour.

Day 3: Do Columbia Icefield via Icefield Parkway day tour returning back to Banff.

Day 4: Take shuttle to Fairmont Lake Louise for 2 nights.

Day 5: Explore & enjoy area on own (walking; no car)

Day 6: Take 2pm shuttle to Calgary for flight to Vancouver.

Which option do you reconmend? Is it really worth the extra travel to Jasper? Especially since not taking Rocky Mountaineer neither VIA rail (both options are too expensive)?

Really confused... Please help!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,093 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

5 days really is too short to go to Jasper, in my opinion. You would spend too much time on the road. So I would recommend Option 2 instead. You could opt to spend just 1 night in Lake Louise; there is less to do within walking distance, unlike Banff which has a much larger townsite (Lake Louise is a tiny village) and the Banff ROAM bus service within town to get you to places like the Banff Gondola, Upper Hot Springs, Cave & Basin National Historic Site, and so on.

delhi
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

Thank u for your valuable advice. I am sorry for the duplicate posting by mistake.

Few more questions:

Do we miss something too good not going to Jasper?

Is there enough to do in banff for 4 nights/ 3 days?

Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,759 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

Hi djlovestravel ~

When are you coming? It's important to know that.

My first observation is that you might not be able to catch a shuttle from Calgary in such a short time. I'm not sure how long it takes to get your luggage, then find the shuttle at the Calgary airport. So I think you might need to take a later shuttle. Not sure about that.

I like Option 1 better. It gives you 1 night in Lake Louise which is enough. 2 nights in Jasper with a trip up and down the Icefields Parkway. 2 trips is good. Because the IP is a destination in itself, make sure you take a tour that stops at many places on the way. You don't want to drive straight through. And spending the last nights in Banff allows you to get to the airport in good time. 5 nights is not enough time, but IMO Option 1 gives you a taste of 4 locations in the Rockies in a sensible order.

Would you miss too much not going to Jasper? You will have to decide for yourselves. Look through the Things to Do on the Jasper Forum to see what might interest you. Again, it depends on when you are coming.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g154917-Activiti…

Is there enough to do in Banff in 4 nights? I would think so. As well, you could take a day trip to LL and a day trip halfway up the Icefields Parkway. This plan might be better if you are coming in the spring or the fall.

delhi
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

Hi MuftiMixandmatch,

Thank you for your detailed post. Most helpful.

We are traveling in the 1st week of June this year.

I would like to know the difference between Banff & Jasper mostly comparing the scenery of the place. For eg, we would be going to Lake Louise & Moraine Lake.. So would the lake at Jasper be worth the trip? Is it more scenic/ too different over all.

We am planning to book-

Best Western at Jasper

Banff Aspen Springs at Banff

Fairmont at lake Louise

We are vegetarians, I hope that's not a problem at all these places.

Thanks Divya

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

Don't worry, there are a lot of vegetarian residents and visitors in the Canadian Rockies; you will find plenty of vegetarian options for eating in both Banff and Jasper.

Jasper National Park is part of a UNESCO World Heritage site - along with neighbouring national and provincial parks, Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, Mt. Robson etc. You can expect to see more gorgeous mountain scenery, lakes, waterfalls etc. in Jasper. Some people say it's easier to see wildlife in Jasper... imo, it's also just luck... being in the right place at the right time.

Half of the Icefields Parkway - one of the "best" attractions in the area - is in Jasper National Park (the other half is in Banff NP). National Geographic has rated the Icefields Parkway as one of their "Twenty Drives of a Lifetime".

www.icefieldsparkway.ca

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
54,759 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

In the 1st week of June, the lakes will still be covered in ice. Some of the trails will be snowed in. I know the Rockies folks think it's late spring and will have traded in their down filled winter jackets for fleece hoodies and vests (at least until 9 am), but I would still be wearing my winter jacket, gloves, toque and scarf. :-)) That's on top of my fleece hoodie! I like warmer weather.

I'm not sure you will be able to get to Moraine Lake in the first week of June.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
17,727 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

For early June, I would say it's (late?) spring in the valleys, and early spring at higher elevations. I wouldn't want to give the impression that it is still winter everywhere in the Rockies, even in early June. Those colder conditions, ice-covered lakes, snowy trails etc. are up at the higher elevations - for instance, Lake Louise (the lake itself) is at 5600 feet - the lakeshore trail will be fine, but higher up the trail will still be snowy. The townsites are much lower - Jasper is at 3500 feet (same elevation as Calgary) and Banff is at 4500 feet - at those elevations, the grass will be green, flowers will be blooming etc.

delhi
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

Thank you so much MuftiMixandmatch & krp329 for your inputs :)

I'm glad my misconceptions of a pleasant weather have been removed & I ll pack accordingly.

Also, considering that the lakes would be frozen.. Does it make sense to stay at Fairmonf Lake Louise at all.. Is the hotel worth the money & time in June?

We are not into hiking.. We prefer leisurely walks to enjoy the beauty & freshness (much needed after terrible pollution in Delhi, whr I live)

Please guide finally on the best way we should divide our 5 nights. Thank u :)

delhi
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

hi everyone!

tickets finally done.. reaching calagry from montreal at 10.30am. leaving calagry after 5 nights (6th day) by the 3.15pm flight to vancouver.

travel date: 1st week of june

would need to use brewster's shuttle/ other public transport throughout.

please help on how to divide time.

looking for beautiful scenery & nice walks (not hikes)

looking forward to your responses.. thank u

10. Re: Rockies itinerary?!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2013, 05:22