We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

Hello.

Our family of three (at time of travel ages would be 52, 51, and 16) plans to visit Banff National Park in the summer of 2019. We plan to spend 10 days on the Banff National Park-Icefields Parkway-Jasper trip. What I am wondering is whether or not people would advise adding Glacier National Park to the trip (adding days to the trip to allow for seeing GNP) while we are out there or if people think that would make for too exhausting of a trip. We are all reasonably active people-in decent shape. We plan to fly into Calgary Airport at the moment and then rent a car. Just curious what people would do themselves based on their experience traveling in these parks. Are two parks too much? I will post the question on the Glacier National Park forum too. Thanks for your thoughts!

Mentioned in this post
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
300 Reviews
Banff National Park, Canada
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,497 Reviews
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
15 replies to this topic
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

Thank you for the warnings on the rental car that all of you have made. They are all good points that I’ll look into further. I will not shorten our current itinerary for Banff-Iceland Parkway-Jasper but rather add the days and nights necessary to also do Glacier Park (Montana) justice. I have read about Banff but will need to become more familiar with GNP to form an itinerary for GNP but all of this input will be very helpful. Thank you!

Calgary was the airport I was planning on using if our trip was just to Canada but it doesn’t have to be that airport if it turns out another one makes more sense by adding GNP.

Many thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Montana
Montana
United States
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,977 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

It would be the same problem with inability to get a one-way car rental whether you flew into Kalispell MT or Calgary.AB.

Mentioned in this post
Kalispell
Kalispell
Montana
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,054 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

The Icefields Parkway is half in Banff National Park, and half in Jasper National Park. Many people visiting Banff National Park also visit Yoho National Park and/or Kootenay National Park. These two are adjacent to the western edge of BNP. (JNP is north of BNP.) All of these national parks, along with contiguous provincial parks form the UNESCO "Canadian Rocky Mountain" World Heritage site.

Waterton Lakes National Park is just north of Montana's Glacier National Park, and the two together form the Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park, which has also been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

There are a total of six national parks, not just two.

Mentioned in this post
Icefields Parkway
Icefields Parkway
1,497 Reviews
Banff National Park
Banff National Park
300 Reviews
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Banff Rocky Mountain...
1,076 Reviews
Banff, Canada
Waterton Lakes National Park
Waterton Lakes National...
Canadian Rockies, Canada
Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park
Waterton-Glacier...
412 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
90 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

That is good to know. I’ll have to look up Waterton. I hadn’t heard of that park before.

Thank you!

Clarkston, Michigan
7 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park

We did GNP in Montana 2 years ago. It's gorgeous. Staying north in GNP, Many Glacier check out Swiftcurrent Lodge thru Xterra Website. Many wonderful hikes from that point. Going To The Sun road can be accessed south of there and take the shuttle from St Mary"s (very efficient) to Logan's Pass for a bit more hiking. West Glacier/Apgar was not that exciting to us. Ambitious vacation

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Reply to: Combining Banff National Park and Glacier National Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;