We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best time to go to the canadian rockies

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
best time to go to the canadian rockies

when is the best time to do the canadian rockies, i don't want to go when it is so crowded you can't get around. i am also a photographer and would love to get some good shots

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,618 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

Hi webbear !

I'm just going to link your other thread here to help out others who come along shortly.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154910-i220-k5927…

For a snow and ice free time in the Rockies, the general rule of thumb is about mid-June to mid-September. School is in until the end of June and then resumes for the fall the day after Labour Day weekend, the same weekend as yours in America. There are a few weeks there when there are fewer crowds.

Edited: 26 November 2012, 19:59
Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,347 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

Hi webbear: Typing "best time" into the search bos for this forum (centre top of your screen) will yield many, many past threads on this forum. The general consensus over time seems to be September -- that's certainly my opinion.

Kootenays, British...
Level Contributor
405 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

Fall or winter in my opinion. Depends what you like better.

Canadian Rockies...
Level Contributor
637 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

I'd say there's good and bad with each season, just depends what your priorities are!

January - March - are busy for ski season, but the Rockies is in it's winter beauty. You can ski, skate, doglsed, snowshoe, and just generally enjoy the splendour of the white capped everything!

April/May - are quieter, but that's because it's that time of year when skiing and many winter activities are coming to an end, and most of the summer activities haven't started yet. Plus we usually get one big blizzard in May, which surprises everyone, every year ;)

June - It rains alot in June. I forget this every year until June rolls around and we're soaking wet for a month!

July - September - is crowded. For good reason though, as its usually when the summer season is at it's best. The trails are all open, the lakes are all full, and everything looks picture perfect. September seems to have the best weather, but it's also still pretty darn busy.

October/November - is a quieter time, it's the reverse of April/May - most of the summer activities are ending, and winter isn't really in full swing. This year though November has pretty much been full winter - but you can't count on that happening. You do get to enjoy the shoulder season specials, lower rates, and fun events like the Bon Appetit Banff ( which just ended).

December - picks up for the Christmas season, there lots of fun Christmasy things to do, and it's pretty darn wintery. Skiing isn't always the best in December. I love December in the Rockies, but then again, I love Christmas!

As a photog, I'd brave the crowds and choose full winter or summer season, otherwise you might get stuck the kind of mucky brown and wet season!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,991 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

Anytime of the year is a great time to visit the Canadian Rockies. However September is a special time to be here. After labour day weekend, most crowds are gone, kids are back to school. The weather is in general very pleasant. It can be chilly at night but still warming up during the day with lots of sunshine. The peaks might receive a dust of snow, but overall it is the best time for hiking, sightseeing and photographing. The larch trees change to a beautiful golden color from mid to late September. Lake Louise offers great accommodation and dining specials during this Larch Fall Festival!

Banff Lake Louise Tourism

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
59,618 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Calgary sunset:

Feb 15 = 5h52 pm

April 15 = 8h33 pm

June 15 = 9h53 pm

July 15 = 9h44 pm

Aug 15 = 8h56 pm

Sept 15 = 7h49 pm

Dec 15 = 4h30 pm

7. Re: best time to go to the canadian rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 01:15