We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

I am trying to figure out an itinerary.

We want to get back to Calgary for Friday evening to fly out Saturday afternoon to avoid inclemental weather, etc...

My girls (12,14) and hubby will be skiing 2-3 of the days.

Tentative Schedule:

Sunday travel to banff

Monday ski ?

Tuesday ski ?

Wednesday ski ?

Thursday free ?

Friday iceland brewster opening day weather permitting.

Sat YYC to SAN afternoon

Any suggestions to this tentative itinerary?

I assume skiing will be at Sunshine & lake louise depending weather.

Are there any must-do that you recommend?

which area do you recommend we stay ? specific accommodation for a moderate budget ($150ish)

I am hoping to stay at the chateau /fairmount for one or two days.

TIA

7 replies to this topic
San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
1. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

The itinerary that is giving on TA are for summer time.

For April, what must stops should we make for our drive from Calgary to Banff? I know there are closures,etc..what are they?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

Calgary to Banff is a short drive, about 90 minutes. It’s a main highway and unless there is a horrendous accident.

We can not comment on what the weather or avalanche risk will be. All main roads will be open, seasonal roads will be closed as will seasonal attractions.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

Even in the winter, $150 is not going to get your moderate accommodations in the Rockies (even in USD) for four people. Not even for two people. Hostel private rooms will start at $100-140 for two people, and basic hotel accommodations will likely start around $150-170, depending on whether you can get a late season deal. I would probably budget at least $200-250 CAN for a room. It will be over $350-400 for a room at the Chateau Lake Louise, likely with a charge for any pull out beds/cots.

Best to start looking at options in Banff via www.banfflakelouise.com to get a feel for prices. Canmore would offer more options, but would be farther from the skiing & really make it a car only trip. Which probably would not work well since you'd not be skiing. For one day, you might be happy with a book or doing a snowshoe tour at Sunshine or Lake Louise. But for three days, I think you will want the freedom to be doing your own thing. Sunshine would be very isolating, Lake Louise a bit less so. At Sunshine, unless you paid for the gondola, you'd be sitting in the gondola base lodge all day long with pretty much no view and not much to do.

I assume on Friday you are referring to the Columbia Icefields snowcoach tour? Note that even though they do open, it will still very much be winter on the parkway. That early in April you will want full snow tires to drive on the parkway, and have clothing for full on winter. And pay close attention to weather and road reports. It's a long drive from Banff, and the section between the Big Bend and the Columbia Icefields is one of the worst for road/weather conditions.

Other activities are really going to be heavily weather/condition dependent, so very much a wait and see kind of trip. With a cold and long winter, there may be good snowshoeing and xc skiing options. If it's an early spring, you may be in that neither nor period when there's not a huge amount of options. Perhaps a gondola ride, or a day to see Lake Louise.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
4. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

thanks for the info.

Is Lake Louise frozen usually frozen at that time? Is there much to see?

Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

Lake Louise does not thaw until late May or early June.

There is plenty to see, just in late winter mode, not summer mode.

Calgary. Alberta
Level Contributor
266 posts
41 reviews
6. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

I sent you a message!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
7. Re: Sunday to Saturday from Calgary to Banff Apr 8-14

thank you!