We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canmore to skiing

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
Canmore to skiing

Would you recommend staying in Canmore to go to the ski slopes.

I apologize for these newbie questions....I am trying to book accommodation for our one week in Calgary & Banff.

Thanks!

7 replies to this topic
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,259 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Canmore to skiing

Please see the comments in your other thread. It helps to keep your questions centralized so we can post in one thread and avoid duplication/confusion.

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,106 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Canmore to skiing

Canmore is outside the national park gates, but is a very good option to Banff. It’s about a 20 minute drive from Canmore to the Banff National Park gates and then a little farther to Banff townsite.

If you are coming in April you will need to pay admission to the park. 5 single days is a little cheaper than the Discovery Pass which is an annual pass for all national parks. Admission was free in 2017 for our 150 th Anniversary.

Looking for accomodation in Banff check www.banfflakelouise.co, the hotels in Banff or Jasper seldom use booking sites like hotel.com or booking.com. Book directly with a hotel.

Reminder, we use canadian currency, if your USD are accepted, you won’t get a favourable exchange rate, and your change will be in CAD.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
3. Re: Canmore to skiing

Thanks for the reminder for CAD; we've visit Vancouver & Victoria often and is well aware.

Rooms at the Ramada in Canmore is about $100.00

Would you recommend staying here for the first night?

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,106 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: Canmore to skiing

it would depend on what time my flight arrived. Personally if I coming to ski i’d go right to Banff. But it’s certainly doable to stay in Canmore and drive in daily. Are you bringing ski’s or renting them there? It might be more convenient to be right in Banff.

Other things to check out one afternoon, is the Banff Upper Hot Springs and the Cave and Basin.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
74 reviews
5. Re: Canmore to skiing

Canmore adds 20 minutes each way, vs. staying in Banff. Unless you're skiing at Nakiska, in which case that's reversed - but why would you ski Nakiska if you came all that way? Banff park is where the quality skiing is.

The name Ramada scares me. They seem to be coasting on a passable reputation earned decades ago. Check reviews carefully.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
6. Re: Canmore to skiing

Thanks for you tips.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
668 posts
87 reviews
7. Re: Canmore to skiing

We will be renting skis.