We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

Hi, i have 3 nights in banff, will take shuttle from calgary to banff and take dogsleeding, icewalk tour for nextday. After those i only have one full day and want to experience lake louise and upper hotspring in one day.Thus kindly need your help to arrange those:

1 is there any public transport that more convinient directly to lake louise itself? The one i got is only getting me to bus depot with a poor timing. Ie back from LL around 4 pm. In this case i will be very late to go to upper spring.

2. Is it a good idea to rent a car to drive to lake louise, starting i 8 am and spending time there till around 2 pm and directly go to upperhotpring and after that dinner at eden? I dont habe winter driving experience so i really concern about this.

Please advise

Banff Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire
Toloco Tours
Sightseeing Tours
6 replies to this topic
Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

Check out the Roam bus, see if that suits your schedule better. That’s the public transportation for Banff.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,720 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

http://roamtransit.com/ is the website. It runs around Banff townsite, and from Banff townsite to Canmore. But it doesn’t go to Lake Louise. Your options there are sightseeing tours, or the Greyhound bus. Note that Greyhound drops off/picks up at Samson Mall, which is in the “village” area, about 4 km from the lake itself. Have a look at the Activities page at www.banfflakelouise.com to find local tour companies.

Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

Yes i have looked at roam bus and tour as well. But seem like it wouldnt guve me so much time in hotspring and dinner since the tour concured around 5 pm. And i cant see hthe view on the daylight. Really need your view about this, i am experienced driver but never been driving on winter. I will be driving to arizona thou in this winter but as per informatiom most of the road clear.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,720 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

No one can predict the weather or the road conditions. Lake Louise is higher than Banff and gets more snow. The highway can be clear and dry near Banff townsite, then as you drive toward Lake Louise, it can get snowy. The highway itself is a major, divided highway and is well-maintained - snowplows will be out when it snows but they can't be everywhere at once. A lot of rental cars are not equipped with snow tires, which give you better traction on cold pavement and on snow and ice. You can request them from the rental company; they are typically about $10 to $12 extra per day. It's also important to slow down if conditions are not ideal, and to allow extra space (for increased stopping distance) between you and the vehicle in front of you. Driving in sloppy conditions can be daunting with the trucks on the highway - if they pass you (or you pass one of them), slushy snow gets thrown up and obscures your view for a bit. Visibility can also be an issue if it happens to snow heavily when you are driving.

Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

Seems like quite scary, i prefer to stick to tour then. Thank you

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring

You can use the Brewsters Airport Shuttle to get between Banff and Lake Louise:

https:/…

And 4pm would not be late at all to go to the hot springs. They're open until as late as 11pm some nights and later in the evening is often the best time to visit.

Reply to: Banff-lake louise-upper hotspring
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted