We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ski in out Hotel in Banff

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Ski in out Hotel in Banff

Hello,

I am looking for a ski in out hotel in Banff. I have seen the Subshine Mountain hotel but you only can access via Gondola. I’d like to be able to go to Banff center by car after 5pm if I want or have something easier access.

Many thanks,

9 replies to this topic
SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,975 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

Sunshine is the only place where there is accommodation right at the mountain.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

Just to clarify, Banff (the town) is 45 minutes away from Lake Louise, and over 15 minutes away from Sunshine (not including a 20 minute gondola ride. Lake Louise (the Hamlet) is also 5 minutes away from the actual hill on the other side of the Trans Canada Highway. Both hills are not ski in ski out resorts other then the one hotel on Sunshine...and like mentioned, is only accessed via the gondola.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

Thank you for your message. Can you please confirm that it means there is no hotel Ski in out in Lake Louise Ski Resort or in Banff Sunshine or in the area?

What I am looking for is an hotel in Baff Sunshine, Baff town, Lake Louise Resort or anywhere else in the area where I can go skiing without taking a shuttle. Unless, it's fast.

Whch one would you recommend to be the nearest of the slopes but not lost in the mountain?

Many thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

There is no ski-in ski-out hotel at Lake Louise (or, for that matter, at Mt Norquay). Sunshine Mountain Lodge is at the top of the Sunshine Village gondola and in the centre of the ski area, but the gondola stops running at 4 pm, except on Fridays and Saturdays, when it runs later.

If you want to be able to visit Banff townsite in the evenings and ski in the daytime, with the minimum amount of time spent opdriving or on a shuttle, Mt Norquay is only 5 minutes from the Banff townsite. However, it is smaller than Lake Louise Ski Area and the Sunshine ski area. You could also stay in Lake Louise and then it's just a 5 min drive to the Lake Louise Ski Area. However, if you want a large choice of restaurants and other après ski activities, Lake Louise "village" has only a few offerings, especially when compared to Banff townsite, which is much larger.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 09:13
Paris, France
Level Contributor
12 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

THank you so much for your information! If I choose to stay in Banff ( Town) which hotel will be in your point of view the best compromise?

Many thanks!!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,220 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

If you want to be able to walk to restaurants, nightclubs, etc., pick a hotel close to Banff Avenue, such as Brewster Mountain Lodge or Elk + Avenue. If you want to make an early departure for the ski hills and don't mind a very short drive or taxi ride (or a long walk) to restaurants, shopping, & nightclubs, you may prefer something closer to the edge of town, such as the Juniper, Banff Rocky Mountain Resort, or Inns of Banff.

Sorry that I can't be more specific, but although I often visit Banff in summer (with my RV), it's been a long time since I stayed there overnight in winter.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
19,752 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

The best compromise for what?

Banff townsite is quite compact and many of the hotels are on Banff Avenue, the main street. There are a few on Tunnel Mountain Road, a bit out of town. Would suggest using a map to get a better idea. Do some exploring with this one: https://goo.gl/maps/M9XxdWd3KK62 ... you can zoom in or out to see more detail. You can switch to satellite view, or to street view.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
6,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

If the website is up to date, the Sunshine gondola runs until 5pm Saturday-Thursday and until 10pm on Fridays

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,801 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ski in out Hotel in Banff

You basically have two options. Stay at Sunshine and deal with the Gondola times, or IMO the better option stay right in Banff and take advantage of more F&B, and lodging choices.

Take the ski shuttle to whichever mountain. Norquay is the closest, but also the smallest so not really worth saving about 20 minutes round-trip.

Edited: 13 December 2017, 21:29
Reply to: Ski in out Hotel in Banff
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted