We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
30 reviews
First time visit

Hi,

I'm looking to visit Canada for a ski trip over xmas and new year 2018/19 and am in the early planning stages. For 2 adults and our 17 year old ( at time of trip ).

I've booked Brewster Mountain Lodge ( cancelable room ) as a starting point. We will lkely visit for 2 weeks.

I'd love to hear opinions as to the best way to spend our visit eg: 2 weeks Banff , 1 week Banff/ 1 week Lake Louise, 1 week Banff/ 1 week somewhere else ?

We are all experienced skiers looking for mostly on piste skiing.

Apres ski wise we usually prefer early drinks and dinner, maybe some live music. I believe that being with an under 18 can restrict evening options ? Could someone please clarify the licensing rules, I understand that u18 are ok in restaurants but not bars ? Where would the distinction be raised, for eg in Vail they have Garfinkles and the Red Lion, both of which have seated restaurant areas and open bar areas, would u18's be ok in simlar places in Banff ?

TIA

5 replies to this topic
Calgary. Alberta
Level Contributor
265 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: First time visit

There are tons of places for you to bring your 17 year old for après ski both on and off mountain and dinner/drinks - you don't need to worry. True pubs don't allow minors but even some pubs will allow them until a certain time of the evening.

I would suggest a week in Banff and a week in Lake Louise. They have a different feel and if you've got a whole two weeks you'll be getting the best of both worlds. Lake Louise had fewer dining options than Banff but still plenty for a week. Last time I counted there were over 20 food establishments from casual to fine dining. Some people like to also try Kicking Horse resort in Golden, but if you are on-piste skiers you will not enjoy it.

Paradise, Canada
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
23 reviews
2. Re: First time visit

Get your eTA (electronic Travel Authorization) sooner, rather than later. Everyone flying to Canada will need one. You won't be allowed to board a flight to Canada without one.It only costs $7.00 CAD

https:/…

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: First time visit

"We are all experienced skiers looking for mostly on piste skiing."

The term 'on piste' can mean different things in different places, but it's an important distinction. Unless you have avalanche safety training, gear and experience, you should not go beyond the ski resort boundaries at all. Avalanches are a significant risk here -- resorts do avy control and will not open runs that have risk. However, outside the boundaries, all bets are off -- and we'd had some huge avalanches just outside resort boundaries.

I know that off piste to Europeans often means in the trees or not on the main runs. As long as those areas are within resort boundaries and not marked as off limits, those are fun. Just be aware the Rockies snowpack, especially in December, is often not very deep. So be cautious for 'sharks' - i.e. rocks, hidden logs/stumps/branches. Tree wells aren't usually such a big issue, but wind loading can make for some deep wells in unexpected places.

If you are looking to get outside the resort, you should book a guide or guided trip. Yamnuksa offers day long lift-assisted backcountry trips - i.e. you take the lift up at Lake Louise, then go outside the boundaries. For that you would need to rent backcountry skis/boots, but I think Yam can provide the avy gear. You can also book a guide for a private day - through Yam or another company.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
27,162 posts
94 reviews
4. Re: First time visit

*Yamnuska, just in case you want to do a search

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor