We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texans seeking advice!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
153 reviews
Texans seeking advice!

OK I know you think Texans think they know it all, but we need your expert opinions / advice please...travelling to your area & excited about the adventure in store.

Will be in area of Banff - Lake Louise - Jasper near mid-Sept. We have the front end planned--Calgary to Banff, LL, Icefields Pkwy...but the Jaspter end of the trip, we're not sure what to do from there.

In Jasper, we have a cabin for 3 nights, but have choice of 4th night there or drive back to Banff area or toward Calgary for return trip home...what are your recommendations?

We are baby boomers, short hikes, sightseeing in nature, not real shoppers...

Is there good bit to do / see in Jasper that it's worth staying there more time or would you recommend heading back to Banff area or ... ?

Calgary is return flight home.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
27,164 posts
94 reviews
1. Re: Texans seeking advice!

I would recommend returning to Banff/LL instead of flying out through Edmonton (which I gather is your tentative plan). This is because it gives you a second opportunity to see the Icefields Parkway. This is good insurance in case the views were covered with clouds on the way north, and if you had a great look on the way up, I don't think you'll be reluctant to see the route again; the views are different when you're southbound, but still spectacular.

On the other hand, the drive from Jasper to Edmonton is four hours of fairly boring road.

I hope you'll be prepared for some fairly un-Texas-like weather; in the mountains, the overnight lows (and morning temperatures as well) are usually just below freezing in September, while the daytime highs are generally 14-15C (roughly 58F).

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Texans seeking advice!

For my money (and local bias) you'd be able to find more to do around Jasper. Banff is more well known, but Jasper's a bit more "natural". They're both beautiful, but for me Jasper has more to offer and it's not nearly as crowded.

That being said, what you may want to do with your extra time is enjoy both directions of the Icefield Parkway between the two. You could easily spend a day checking out the sites in each direction, and you can count on spending a few hours at the Columbia Icefield.

Jasper also has the boat tour to Spirit Island, which takes a little more tahn half a day, I think.

And welcome to Alberta...we have the "know it all" reputation of Canada. You'll be like family!

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Texans seeking advice!

"Is there good bit to do / see in Jasper that it's worth staying there more time" I would say a resounding YES. We spent 4 nights in Jasper last month and there was so much to do and see around there if you want short hikes. Another great advantage is that it doesn't get the same pressure of tourists as Banff or Lake Louise.

Have you found this web site which gives a map and details of walking around Jasper.

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/activ7_e.asp

One great advantage is that you can design your own walks and shorten or lengthen them as the fancy takes you. you won't be short of ideas what to do.

The drive up Mt Cavel is a must and there is a delightful short and easy walk to the lake at the foot of Mt Cavel Glacier with views of the Angel Glacier. If you are feeling more energetic there is the longer Cavel Meadows Walk.

Maligne Lake is also nice and there are a variety of walks you can do from there as well as a trip on the lake. Stop off to do Maligne Canyon on the way.

If you want hot springs, there is Miette.

Will you have done the assorted walks off the Jasper end of Icefields Parkway? If you haven't done the Sunwapta Falls walk to the lower falls that is certainly worth doing.

There is also Mt Robson Park just to the west as well. You can download maps from here:

…gov.bc.ca/bcparks/…Map

Eleanor

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,955 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: Texans seeking advice!

Hi Texans!

Lots of good advice above.

I would also recommend that you post this inquiry on the Jasper forum as well -- that will give you the best chance of hearing from Jasper enthusiasts.

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
61 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Texans seeking advice!

I should have mentioned that Spirit Island/Maligne Lake cruise is only 90 min., but the drive back and forth to the lake from town is more than an hour each way.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
22,020 posts
130 reviews
6. Re: Texans seeking advice!

Unfortunately, you won't be able to drive up to Mt. Edith Cavell (near Jasper)in mid-September, as the road is closing on September 7th for re-paving. It's in terrible rough shape and long overdue, but too bad it's happening when you will be here.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
153 reviews
7. Re: Texans seeking advice!

Thank you so much! I'll post to Jasper forum tonight! ....so much to think about!!! but we just can't wait to get there. Cheers! or in "Texan", bye y'all!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
33 posts
153 reviews
8. Re: Texans seeking advice!

Thank you so much for your time and input. If you don't mind, we may ask you directly some more questions---you seem to have the answers much more than others on forums!

9. Re: Texans seeking advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2010, 00:18