We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota
Level Contributor
330 posts
Save Topic
Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

Hi.

We are planning a trip for next summer that can take anywhere from 10 - 14 days, and since we are flying into Calgary and renting a car, I'd like to get the most vacation for the airfare.

We have been to Vancouver, so I do not want to include that, but can some sketch out draft for a 10 - 14 trip that will include Banff, LL, Jasper, and ANYTHING else that you think is important to see in that area.

We like to hike and walk, and are spending 2 weeks this summer in Colorado.

Next summer is Canada, so I would appreciate any help you might offer concerning the Banff,LL, Jasper area.

Thanks.

Steve

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

Hi SPB:

I think that, with 14 days, you could add Yoho National Park and Mt Robson Provincial Park to your itinerary. There are lovely viewpoints and day hikes in both locations.

Alternatively, this TA page of itineraries:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c14636/Banff-…

includes a 14-day circle trip from Calgary that includes Waterton (Canada) and Glacier (USA) national parks.

And this page:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c112507/Canad…

gives you a list of the "must-sees" in the Canadian Rockies -- that should help you build your itinerary.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

If you like to hike, you could easily spend longer than two weeks just hiking in these locations, much less seeing the roadside sights or doing other activities like whitewater rafting, canoeing or kayaking, horseback riding, mountain biking etc.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,939 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

IMO, you could spend a lifetime hiking in these locations, and never get bored -- right, krp??

A R
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

There is so much to do and see in Banff and the surrounding areas that 14 days won't be too long.

We have been to Banff 4 times, 1 during spring, and 3 times during winter.

Our first trip to Banff was 6 days, it was too short.

Our last trip was 11 days, still not enough, and this was winter time, winter is amazingly beautiful, and there's lots to do. We love winter, but I can just imagine how much more you can do during summer.

In my opinion no amount of time can ever be too long to enjoy the beauty of the Banff area.

For sure you are going to have an enjoyable summer vacation there.

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

That just about right. I usually stay for 10 days and I just hike and fish and that will fill up 10 days easy. 14 would be great for the for parks.

I would not try and get Waterton/Glacier(USA) in the same trip, that trip really need at least 7 days.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

Hi SarasotaPoolBoy,

2 weeks is just right. Seriously, if you like to hike, you could easily spend 2 months! There are just that many trails to explore. Two weeks is the perfect time frame to explore all of the National Parks surrounding Banff and Lake Louise area.

If you have the time and want a unique and slightly more luxurious walking experience, I would recommend a couple of nights in the backcountry at either Skoki Lodge or Shadow Lake Lodge. These 2 places are located in some of the most pristince corners of Banff National Park. Also, Num-Ti-Jah Lodge is a historic lodge located 20 minutes North of Lake Louise. This area is incredible to explore by foot. And while your at it, you should and must go to Sunshine Meadows! You can access Sunshine Meadows by bus and enjoy hiking the high alpine meadows.

Take the 14 days, you are going to need it.

banfflakelouise

NJ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

my first time to this area, i spent 2 weeks.

my second time to this area i spent 2 weeks

the next time i go i'll spend 2 weeks!

You should definately add Yoho to your trip. there are some excellent hikes and if you can get reservations on the lake o'hara bus, oh my what a great area. Limited hiking and the alpine circuit is unbelievable. see:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/activ15a_e.asp

some other spectacular hikes in yoho.

tons of hikes at jasper - river raft the athabasca river

Lake Louise, plain of the 7 glaciers - tea houses

valley of the 10 peaks

wilcox pass

Jasper: opal hills and tons of other hikes

At lake louise some of my best meals were at the hostel.

Stuff is very expensive in lake louise so fill up on supplies in calgary - easy and near airport

ie snacks, bug repellent, sunscreen etc....

check out some of the books on the area there is great information on all the trails. I also recommend the guided glacier hike on the athabasca glacier. very cool. enjoy!

Washington,DC
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

You're all superheroes or something. For me, one or two full-day mountain hikes and my knees and/or feet are toast. If I remember to bring it, I might take a couple ibuprofin halfway through a full-day mountain hike to prevent inflammation. For my trip, I'm hoping to do Sentinel Pass one day and 6 Glaciers the next. I figure: better do the one where the law requires hiking in a group on the first day, so I'm not holding up the group being sore from the previous day

9. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 07:23
WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,104 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 14 days too long for Banff, LL, and Jasper? What else?

Do not miss Banff National Park and in particular Peyto Lake. This is the best view of a lake ever. We visited the Chateau Lake Louise which was an interesting spot. Athabasca River is pretty and Columbia Icefield glacier is a good tour to take. We hit Banff on their 4th of July on July 1st and that was a fun time to stay in town. In Jasper National Park don't miss a tour on Maligne Lake and especially Spirit Island. Moraine Lake is another to see.