We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Topic
Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Hi.

I read some of the posting about Park Fees, and I am either too dumb to understand what was written, or I simply can not believe the cost.

My wife and I will be landing in Calgary and driving to Field.

We will spend day 1,2,3, and 4 in Field (Yoho) and visiting LL, then spend day 5 and 6 in Jasper. Drive back to Banff and spend day 7 in Banff.

Does that mean that I will be paying a $19.80 (group) park fee for each of the 7 days? That comes to about $140.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

Steve

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

You're correct.

A day pass will cost you 9,80 $CAD (Senior 8,30) p.p.

A year pass comes to 67,70 $CAD (Senior 57,90) p.p.

A Family year pass costs 136,40 $CAD.

Year passes are (although prohibited) often sold on or passed on.

You might find one for sale, for your projected period of stay, on E-Bay.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

I still stuned...so I'll try one more time

That means that anyone who stays in Banff or LL, aside from spending the cost for the nightly lodgeing and dinner, ia also spending $19.80 (husband and wife) for the privlidge of staying in the park.

Am I correct in this assumption?

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Yes, you have it right; you can have a look at this TA Traveler Article for more details:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

If you're there for 7 days or longer, it's less hassle and cheaper to buy an annual pass.

The parks pass is long-standing and goes directly to the national parks service.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Perhaps this page on national park entry fees would help:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13975/Banff-…

It sounds as if you might be better off with an annual pass for all national parks at $136. The price of entry is the same for you as it is for Canadians (who, of course, also support park operations through their taxes).

To provide some comparisons, if you and your wife were to visit Disneyland for 7 days it would cost you approximately $500. The Tower of London: $103 (based on buying a year's membership). US national parks (annual pass) $80. Legoland California (annual pass) $320.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Just to be crystal clear: it is not $19.80 per person, it is $19.80 for a group of six or less traveling in a single vehicle. Revenues raised by the parks pass go to pay for things like wildlife protection (the Trans-Canada Highway, Canada's main east-west route, goes through Banff; a system of high fences keeps animals off the roadway, while wildlife underpasses and overpasses means that the animals can safely cross from one side to the other), amenities (picnic areas, trails - some of which must be paved because of the high volume of visitors, and so on), search & rescue services (the national parks SAR team is one of the best in the region), and much more.

You may not be aware of this, but Alberta has no sales tax, and there is a national 5% Goods & Services Tax (GST) on just about everything you buy, except for basic groceries.

Sarasota
Level Contributor
332 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Thanks for all the consolations.

At first it was a shock...the $19.80 per day, but I am numb, and beginning to feel better.

The thing that bothers me is that the family or group for $19.80 covers more than 2 people, so I may have to adopt some people to feel that I am getting value for my money as would someone with a family of 4 - we are only 2.

In the US, the Park Pass (I have one) cover the car and driver and 3 others...a better deal!

And living 75 miles from Orlando, I would never in a million years spend the money for Disney..one day 5 years ago was enough! How many times would you want to back to the tower of London?

Thanks for your explanations, and I appreciate your holding your tempers. All is now right with the world as I have just adjusted my trip from 9 days to 11 days so I will get more value out of the yearly the Park Pass.

The fact that it will cost me for 2 extra days lodging, food, and auto, well, that's just cutting off my nose to spite my face!

Thanks.

Your comments were appreciated and taken to heart!

Steve

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
392 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Scottish or Dutch background? ;-)

Without kidding: although the price of the annual parks pass has gone up considerably in the last 10 years it is still a bargain when you see what you get for it. I hope you will appreciate it.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,403 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Steve, I thought about what you said about the Tower of London & Disneyland, and thought you might appreciate a more "apples to apples" comparison. So here are the one-day entry fees to some other top Alberta attractions:

Heritage Park, Calgary: $20/adult (summer season)

Glenbow Museum, Calgary: $14/adult

Fort Edmonton Park, Edmonton: $13.50/adult

Calgary Zoo: $16/adult

Valley Zoo, Edmonton: $9.75/adult

Royal Tyrrell Museum of Paleontology, Drumheller: $10/adult

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

Steve, you'll be glad you decided to stay longer -- whatever the reason was for the decision! This is a wonderful place and you'll have a great time.

C_W -- I was just quickly looking for entry fee levels for other world-famous tourism destinations. I do agree that they weren't exactly apples-to-apples.

10. Re: Park Fees...Help, I do NOT understand!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 16:27