We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Park Fee?

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
National Park Fee?

Hi again! Another question for you.

I have read that a fee is paid per day for travelling in the national parks. $19.80 on entry up to 4pm the following day. I don't understand how it works?

We will be arriving on May 10th mid afternoon in Calgery and driving to Banff for 3 nights, we will be using the car to sight see from there. We then drive to Jasper for a 2 night stay. Then on to Kamloops for 1 night stop off before driving to Vancouver. Will we need to buy 6 nights? Or is it just for the time we will be on the Parkway between Banaff and Jasper? Sorry I'm confused!

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Park Fee?

Since you're staying overnight the Park Pass needs to cover your stay from when you enter the Park(s) until you leave. (Banff National Park, Jasper National Park, etc. are all one entity as far as the Park Pass is concerned.)

May 10th, 11th and 12th in Banff then Jasper on the 13th and 14th is by my (drunken) reckoning 4 whole days.

1.) 4 days x $19.60 = $78.40

2.) Annual Pass good for unlimited access anywhere in Canada = $136.40

If you don't ever intend to be in another National Park then the day passes are the obviously the best deal.

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited: 23 February 2012, 17:52
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Park Fee?

Too much Cuban rum... your stay is I believe 5 whole days ($98) which still means the Day Passes are cheaper than the Annual Pass...

Cheers,

Terry

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Park Fee?

Oh ok, wish I was on the Rum lol. So you have to have one even if your parked at the hotel not even using the car? ..... Mmm will have to put that in the budget ...

Newtown, PA
Level Contributor
3,453 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Park Fee?

We'll be in Jasper 3 nights, Lake Louise 1 night, Banff 4 nights and Revelstoke 2 nights. We'll also be going through Glacier and Mt Revelstoke National Parks. No rum here, but can I presume that's at least 9 days we'll need the pass? If so, I think we need to get the annual pass.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,071 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Park Fee?

Parks are expensive things to run, and these parks in particular have international draw, so we appreciate your contributions to support the maintenance and construction of parking lots, trails, washrooms and campgrounds. We hope you feel you get your money's worth.

If you were going the other way, the annual pass would also be valid for Yoho, Glacier and Revelstoke national parks, so you'd get your money's worth out of it. Coming the way you are, there aren't any other Parks Canada sites until you get to Vancouver, where you could use the pass to visit Fort Langley and the Gulf of Georgia Cannery.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,650 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Park Fee?

"... So you have to have one even if your parked at the hotel not even using the car?..."

=======================

Billy, the Park Pass isn't just for a moving car, it's to cover you while you're on Park property, period.

When you look at the incredible National Park system here in Canada - not to mention all the other sites the Pass also covers - it's a very good deal and offers great bang-for-the-buck for your vacation budget.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Interesting trivia... Canada's 43 National Parks collectively cover an area almost the same size as the ENTIRE United Kingdom. It's a massive amount of real estate...

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,669 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National Park Fee?

It's not just an overnight stay that requires a park pass. If you are driving through on highway 1 (Banff, Yoho, Glacier or Mt. Revy NP) or highway 16 (Jasper NP) or highway 93S (Kootenay NP), you don't need to buy a pass, but you are supposed to drive through without stopping. If you plan to pull off and use any of the viewpoints, stop in town etc., you are supposed to buy a pass. The Icefields Parkway (93N) is not a through-highway but a park "facility", so you have to have a park pass to use it (and there are kiosks at either end of it to check for it, and sell it to you if necessary).

Yes, relayer, in your case, it will be more economical to buy the annual pass.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National Park Fee?

Thanks so much. I understand now x

dublin
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: National Park Fee?

I don't know whether I am misreading this site but it looks as though the Daily Entry Fee to the Canadian National Parks is just under $10 and the Annual Fee just under $70. Site I used is:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
418 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National Park Fee?

Yes it is, but that's per person. So we are 2 adults = $19.80. Thanks x