We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day in Lake Louise

Qld
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
1 day in Lake Louise

My family of 5 (3 adult children) are driving from Banff to Lake Louise for the day on December 23rd. Looking for recommendations on the best way to spend our time there. Thinking about ice skating and perhaps dog sled ride?

4 replies to this topic
Calgary. Alberta
Level Contributor
265 posts
41 reviews
1. Re: 1 day in Lake Louise

Those are great choices! I'm assuming you don't ski, otherwise you would have planned that already. Other options - you could go tubing and/or on a snowshoe tour at the ski resort or you could go cross country skiing - there are quite a few trails in the area.

Qld
Level Contributor
94 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: 1 day in Lake Louise

We have never skied before but are having some lessons in Whistler before heading to Banff but thought we'd try some other things.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
8,191 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: 1 day in Lake Louise

Makes sense.

I'd suggest leaving some time simply to walk part way along the lake and enjoy the beauty. Then use the rest of the day for snowshoeing/xc skiing/ice skating/dog sled rides.

There's only one company that operates dog sled rides in Lake Louise. Since there's usually a limit of 2 adults per sled, you'll probably need to book 3 sleds, which could get pricey. Also you'd need to see if there is still availability - could be a very popular day since it's the Saturday right before Christmas.

I agree that doing one of the snowshoe tours at Lake Louise or Sunshine could be a lot of fun. They offer excellent views - far better than those on the valley bottom trails where you can safely snowshoe in the Lake Louise/Banff area. Plus you have the expertise/knowledge of the guide. You can rent the equipment at the ski hills, and they may offer a discount as part of the tour.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,906 posts
123 reviews
4. Re: 1 day in Lake Louise

Take a look at Great Divide Nature Interpretation's snowshoe tours. These folks are award-winning guides and they provide a great experience.

Reply to: 1 day in Lake Louise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted