We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Seattle

Twickenham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Seattle

I would like to travel from Calgary to Seattle by train if possible in late August or early September, Can you help please

Edited: 15 April 2011, 07:50
West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,186 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Seattle

Hi Taziecat;

You will need to travel west to Vancouver before boarding a second train heading south to Seattle.

There is no train service from Calgary. The closest station is located in Edmonton Alberta, approx. 186 miles / 300 km north of Calgary.

www.viarail.ca

www.amtrak.com

There is an excursion train that runs to Vancouver from the Calgary area, but it is quite expensive - not basic transportation.

www.rockymountaineer.com

Best Regards

Edited: 15 April 2011, 08:24
seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
18,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Seattle

Amtrak is good or take a shuttle into Jasper and pickup the Via rail or Rocky mtnr. Amtrack goes from Via rail station in Vancouver.

If you had a way to get into Montana you could pick up Amtrak south of Calgary down along I-90 in montana.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,580 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Seattle

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Taziecat!

RescueTeam is quite correct, there is no train service between Calgary and Seattle. Your only scheduled budget ground option between Seattle and Calgary, if you do not drive, is the Greyhound bus: www.greyhound.ca

I'm not sure what the best way is to get from Vancouver to Seattle (ferry?); you might try posting on the Vancouver forum for that:

tripadvisor.ca/ShowForum-g154943-i81-Vancouv…

Once you get to Vancouver, you have the option of using the Moose Travel Network's budget bus tours to get to Calgary, rather than Greyhound:

www.moosenetwork.com

Calgary, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Seattle

I just drove there on the weekend, left work early on friday night and stayed in Spokane on the way. Total travel not including breaks and waiting at the border for an hour was 11 1/2 hours

5. Re: Calgary to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 04:29