We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

12 th May evening.We intend to drive from Calgary to vancouver in the next two days and we have to board Princess cruise for Alaska trip on 15th at 01.00 pm.Would love to enjoy the scenic beauty of banff,lake Louise,the glaciers,mount whistler.

Will it be too tiring if we drive in the morning from Calgary,see Banff,lake Louise and reach Revelstoke,stay there overnight-Start the next day after seeing revelstoke,reach Kamloops,take the Route via lillooet to whistler,stay there overnight and drive down the sea to sky highway to Vancouver Canada place where we have to board at 1.00 pm

Will it be better if we drive from Sicamous and vernon see part of Oakanagan valley,come back to transcanada highway via Hope and drive straight to Vancouver on the second day?

Any other suggestions for stops and route for the two day trip from Calgary to vancouver?

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,756 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

hi

option 1 via Lliloett is ranch country and narrow mountain roads. The road is mostly located a few 100 meters above the valley floor so the views are amazing in a lot of the drive. There are mostly small towns on this route and they are far apart. The section from Lliloet to Whistler is very windy so slow going for that section.

option 2 via Kelowna-Penticton-Hope via Crowsnet highway # 3 you travel mostly on the valley floor. the Okanagan and Similkameen valleys are full of vineyards and orchards. The Okanagan feels a lot like Lausanne in Switzerland just in case you may have been there. From Princeton to Hope mostly good mountain road and then from Hope to Vancouver a 4 lane highway. There are more urban areas along this route.

you can reach Penticton from Revelstoke in about 5hrs but there is so much to see for first time that you should allow 8-9 hours.

my preference is option 2 simply because you will see something completely different. The Lilloet route is somewhat similar in terrain to the route from Banff to Sicamous.

dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

Thanks cbaarch for the suggestion.

Considering the narrow roads,what will be the time required if we drive at a relaxed pace from Revelstoke to whistler?

If we take the route through Oakanagan valley on May 13th,considering the time of the year,will it be scenic with flowers and fruits?

Also,will it be too tiring and take out all fun from the vacation trip if we do this drive in two and half days?

Please advice

Canmore, AB
Level Contributor
77 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

Revelstoke to Whistler-count on at least 7 hpurs if not 8 at a leisurely pace. It is 2 lane highway most of the way and between Lilloet and Whistler there could still be wintry conditions.

There will not be a lot of fruit or flowers in May in Okanagan.

2.5 days Calgary to Vancouver won't give you much extra time for sightseeing, it's about 12 hours of solid driving if going via Kamloops and Coquihalla Highway, more if you decide to go via Whistler which is a longer roundabout way to

Reach Vancouver. So even if driving 5 hrs/day you won't have a lot of time for sightseeing.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

Hi levis ~

I try to recommend that people arrive in their departure city the night before their departure. It is not always a good idea to be travelling to the cruise ship on the morning of the ship's departure. Just 7 hours ago there was a collision on a local highway. The backlog queue of cars was 4 km long and would take probably 30 minutes for the last car in line to pass the accident site. Although things like this don't usually happen, you never know.

It takes 2 hours to drive from Calgary to Banff. I wonder if you would feel comfortable driving to Banff when you arrive and staying the first night in Banff because it would make your Rockies experience meaningful.

I would also suggest not going to Whistler. The Rockies will make Whistler not seem important at all.

May 12, Banff, visit Banff township when you arrive and then for some of the morning.

May 13, Vernon (~6 hours drive from Banff, stops extra)

May 14, Vancouver (~5.5 hours drive from Vernon, via Hwy 97C and Hwy 5. ~8 hours drive via Hwy 97, Hwy 3 - stops extra)

May 15 take a taxi from your hotel to get to the cruise pier about an hour before your boarding time to go through American Customs.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

I agree with MuftiMix's recommendfation to overnight in Banff. However, I have to disagree with the distance estimation.....it only takes 90 minutes to get to Banff from Calgary, so it's not really very far. I was just there a couple of weeks ago and it only took me about 1 hr and 20 minutes to drive it.

Also, since you are pressed for time you will suggest that you probably need to take the Coquihalla Hwy route to Vancouver, otherwise it will be a very long drive. It's not as scenic as some other routes, but it is much faster.

Edited: 02 April 2012, 18:04
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,756 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

a slight variation on Mufti 's plan

May 12, Banff, visit Banff township when you arrive and then for some of the morning.

May 13, drive to Kelowna rather than Vernon it is only +45 min and you get to see much more of the Okanagan and a greater choice of hotels.

instead of Vernon (~6 hours drive from Banff, stops extra)

May 14, Vancouver via the route suggested by |Mufti except that since you start in Kelowna it would only be only 5 hrs. but this is not a very scenic route since mostly 4 lane highway i would drive down to Penticton and take highway 3 on the Hope Princeton Highway which will add a couple of hours

mufti's = Vancouver (~5.5 hours drive from Vernon, via Hwy 97C and Hwy 5. ~8 hours drive via Hwy 97, Hwy 3 - stops extra)

the latter means you should get early starts so you can stop along the way

Sunrise is around 6am and sunset around 8-9 pm i think

I looked at my pictures from may last year, the early flowers were in bloom, usually in early May you will see green hills rather than the golden colour in the (dry)hotter months. Fruit does not start until late june.

dubai
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

Cbaarch,Mufti,Canadian and Wedelmaster-Thanks a lot for the really good support.

.But let me give you more details on our arrival in Calgary and our cruise boarding at Canada Place.Our flight reaches at 08.45PM on 12th May at Calgary International airport and after custome and baggage pickup,we hope to get our Dodge Van which is rented from Dollar at 10.00PM.We have booked at Bestwestern Airport hotel which is near to the airport for overnight stay.We can leave after breakfast at 09.00 AM on 13th May to Vancouver by road vis Hwy #1 Transcanada.We will reach Banff by 10.30,spend less than two hours there.Drive onwards to lake Louse,enjoy the sight and have lunch at Lake Louis hotel.Leave lake louise before 04.00 PM and drive to reach Golden/Revelstoke/Kelowna.Please suggest which place is reachable before 09.00 PM

14th May morning after breakfast see the place and leave for Vancouver at 10.00 AM.Is it viable to go through Kelowna through Hwy#97 and then via #97C and reach Merritt. Then take Coquila Hwy#5 down to Hope and onwards in Hwy #1 to Vancouver. Is this a scenic route or is the route from Revelstoke on Hwy #1 via Sicamous-Kamloops-Ashcroft-Hope more scenic?Please advise on driving times for both .

Following Mufti’s advice, we have decided to reach a Hotel in Vancouver,near Canada Place before 10PM on 14th so that we have ample time in the morning to reach Canada Pier where we have to board the Alaska cruise at 1.00 PM on 15th.

We are dropping Whistler as suggested by cbaarch.Friends, also please suggest if there is any alternate route or can we reduce the travel time by taking a flight from some where enroute so that we can enjoy more time in the rockies

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,181 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

My heart bleeds to hear you say you will "see" Banff in two hours...you will see nothing. :< Ok, you will see so little that it will be as if you see nothing.

Spend two nights in Banff, then do the 10 hr drive by the fastest route from Banff to Vancouver. Give yourselves a day at least to see this wonderful area.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

^^^agreed, or at least one overnight in Banff. 2 hrs is really not enough time IMHO.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,296 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Calgary to Vancouver in two and half days?

<<can we reduce the travel time by taking a flight from some where>>

Yes, you can! That's the best idea yet, if you can do that. You can drive to Banff on the 13th. Spend 24 hours in Banff and Lake Louise. On the 14th, drive back to Calgary for a late afternoon flight to Vancouver. Allow ~5 hours between leaving Banff and checking in with your airline. 5 hours will give you some flex time if you get a flat tire or similar. The flight is 1.5 hours, there is a one hour time change to Vancouver. You could be at a Vancouver hotel ~1h20 minutes after you land.

Air Canada departures: 17h15, 18h15, 19h15, 21h15

WestJet departures: 17h15, 18h30, 19h45, 21h45

The Rockies, for arguments sake, are basically east of Hwy 97 and Hwy 93, Golden is a city on the west side of the Rockies. There are 4 more mountain ranges between there and the coast, all with different names.