We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dog Sledding

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Dog Sledding

Is there anywhere near Edmonton that you can go dog sledding?

We are visiting Edmonton in late December for 4 nights. We have 2 kids aged 10 and 11. We plan on doing plenty of things in WEM but can anyone suggest some other interesting sights?

I thought a visit to Elk National Park....is this worth a visit in Winter?

Fort Edmonton - again is this worth a visit in Winter?

I am interested in seeing some wildlife if possible or anything historic. We are not really into science museums and things like that.

Of course I love shopping but WEM sounds good for that.

Can you still get a discount into waterpark with AAA membership?

We are Australian members of Automobile Association.

Any ideas/suggestions???

Thanks

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dog Sledding

Fort Edmonton Park proper closes for the season on September 25th. However, depending upon when you are visiting, they host something called Christmas Reflections December 9 to 11, and 15 to 23. Their website directs to an events page for details, but there aren't any there right now. They do have details on a festive Christmas Tea being held December 19 - 23. For more information visit http://www.fortedmontonpark.ca

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dog Sledding

Hi QldAussie!

I'm not aware of any dogsledding in the Edmonton area. Kawakanum Kennels used to offer "Mushing 101" at Fort Edmonton Park, but they closed this May.

Fort Edmonton Park, like most living history villages, is closed in the winter except for special events. Check their website for events:

fortedmontonpark.ca/plan-your-trip/events.as…

I'm not as familiar with Edmonton's history as I am with Calgary's, but you will fiind a tour of the Provincial Legislative Assembly building interesting:

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/visitor/index.html

Sadly, AAA/CAA discounts are available only to members of the American Automobile Association and Canadian Automobile Association.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dog Sledding

Ok thanks for your help.

We are in Edmonton on Dec 26.

Our RACQ card has the AAA symbol on the back and is suppose to be honoured by AAA as well.

Most of the hotels and motels honour our card as an equivalent to AAA

Edited: 07 September 2011, 21:05
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dog Sledding

Elk Island Park is really only interesting in winter if you bring skis or snowshoes, or at a minimum some good winter boots, and you don't mind meeting very large animals (bison) or their byproducts on the trails. Your odds of seeing bison are quite good there, but there will be few if any facilities open in the park.

Perhaps ice skating at Hawrelak Park? It's a big lake in a central part of Edmonton and has a heated shelter building for lacing up. You can rent skates there Friday thru Sunday, and probably the entire week after Christmas. It's a popular and fun thing to do.

Edmonton, Canada
Destination Expert
for Edmonton
Level Contributor
3,431 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dog Sledding

That's a great idea about Hawrelak Park. (I was going to suggest ice skating at City Hall, but was pretty sure they don't rent skates there.) You can't get anything more quintessentially Canadian than that. They have ice skating at WEM but don't be swayed by that. Head out to the park. You will love it.

I did some research on dog sledding, but can't find anything close to Edmonton. Wood Buffalo, which is close by, about 40 min from Edmonton, seems to be popular for dog sledding, but as a sport (i.e. you have your own team), not as a paid activity. Perhaps others will have some other information.

Something you will have much better luck with is a sleigh ride. (Being pulled by a horse drawn sleigh). There are numerous operators in and around Edmonton, and that can be a lot of fun. Just google "sleigh ride Edmonton" and you will have a lot of fun just researching the idea.

Another fun thing to do could be to visit Candy Cane Lane. It's a residential neighbourhood where almost every house is festively decorated. (A lot of us do Christmas decorations, but this particular neighbourhood is distinctive because it is almost every house, and they are completely over the top). It's incredibly popular, so there are tons of people about, and its very festive with plenty of glad tidings about. AND you can combine a sleigh ride with Candy Cane Lane. Visit www.candycanelane.ca for more details.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dog Sledding

Thanks for that. Candy Cane Lane sounds good. I will write that one down so I don't forget.

Yes I had already googled dog sledding and couldn't find anything either.

Thanks again.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dog Sledding

It would take about an hour to drive from WEM to Elk Island National Park, and the bison are not always cooperative -- they may not show themselves when you are there. There really isn't a lot to see there in the winter. The scenery is basically flat ground and trees. My friends from Singapore went there in November a few years ago and the only wildlife they saw was a squirrel. I think you could make better use of your time.

Rutherford House, at the north end of the University of Alberta campus, might be an option for you if you are interested in historic things. It is 100 years old this year. It was the home of our first premier, and was quite palatial for the time. It is set up to look exactly the way it would have a hundred years ago. history.alberta.ca/rutherford/default.aspx There is a nice tea room there, also.

Your kids would probably like our Royal Alberta Museum. It has a wealth of cool things for kids and adults alike (dinosaurs, bug room, dioramas of animals in their natural habitats, natural history of Alberta exhibits, etc.). Admission is half price on Saturday and Sunday mornings. www.royalalbertamuseum.ca/general/intro.htm

You can purchase a "Super Savings Coupon Book" at Guest Services in WEM for $7.95 (www.wem.ca/#/shop/super-savings-coupon-book) which would give you discounts at WEM attractions and stores, but there are also coupons you can print off the Internet that will get you the coupon book for free. Various Edmonton tourism sites offer them, such as www.edmonton.com/for-visitors/coupons.aspx but the coupon on this page expires on Sept. 30. Check back, though, as they may keep updating it. The Coupon Book expires at the end of December, so they may be available at reduced rates in the mall in late December.

The most convenient way to save money at the WEM attractions is to go for the last three hours when the rates are reduced.

Definitely go to Candy Cane Lane!

If your kids have never tried snowboarding or skiing, they could try it out at Snow Valley. There is an easy bunny hill, and equipment is available for rent. Fridays from 5 pm - 9 pm are a bargain. My kids went there many Fridays when they were the age of your kids. http://www.snowvalley.ca/day_pass.php

Singapore
Level Contributor
127 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dog Sledding

G'day QldAussie!

We visited Edmonton few years ago and also during their winter season.

Re:-WEM

Visited a few times during our stay there.

Kids (5-8yo then )enjoyed the Galaxyland.

We had the WEM booklet with compliments from the hotel we stayed.

I remembered only the F&B vouchers were utilised.

Re:-Elk Island

We didnt see any animals that we thought we could see there. It seemed we were the only family there at that time. Kids did have fun with some 'unintended' sledding there.

Re:- Fort Edmonton

We enjoyed it though only some sites were opened during the winter season.

Re:- AA card

I did use my AA card issued from Singapore for discount at places of interest.

Cheers ^_^

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
624 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dog Sledding

Hey that's great information. Thanks, yes I think we will give Elk Island a miss, can spend our time elsewhere.

I will check the coupon site a bit later in the year.

I think we would like Fort Edmonton even if some things are closed.

Perhaps we will get some vouchers from our hotel as well. No harm in trying the AAA card, most times they give us the discount.

The kids are going to do skiing in Whistler for a day but my son wants to try the snowboarding too, so perhaps that place might be the ideal one to try.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,070 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dog Sledding

Thanks for posting the question about the AA card - I've learned something as a result!

Get answers to your questions about Edmonton