We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attractions between Jasper and Banff

Which Jasper National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
167 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Attractions between Jasper and Banff

Hi

We will be leaving Jasper and driving to Banff mid September. Could anyone recommend their fave places to enjoy between Jasper and Banff?

Thanks

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

The Columbia Icefields glacier.

www.explorerockies.com/columbia-icefield/

There's lots of other stuff to see though. Get out almost anywhere for some hiking. There is also lots of waterfalls along the way. One in particular I remember is Bridal Veil Falls. You can see it from the road, but if I recall correctly, you can also hike down for a much better view and even get a bit wet in the process.

world-of-waterfalls.com/canada-bridal-veil-f…

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

Actually as I think about it more, when you are at the Bridal Veil pull-out, you actually hike to a different waterfall. You can't actually see the second waterfall from the road. You know it's there because you can hear the roar get louder and louder as you approach it. It's an entirely seperate waterfall, but it's a fun hike and worth seeing. You can get right up to the falls -- be careful of course!

UK
Level Contributor
167 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

Thank you Sola7. This may sound like a stupid question, but it will be the first time we have visited Canada and we were wondering are waterfalls signposted on the road? So if we were driving we wouldn't miss anything and could just go 'oh this looks good lets stop here'.

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

Some are sign-posted (and have pull-outs or parking lots), some aren't. The major "sights" are pretty well marked, but there is so much to see, you'll probably just stumble across some good stuff too. It's a nice easy drive also. Well-maintained, well-marked highway, not too twisty -- you'll enjoy it. Haven't been up there in a few years, but it's one of my favorite destinations ever.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,417 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

The Icefields Parkway, highway 93 between Lake Louise and Jasper, has been rated by National Geographic magazine as one of "Twenty Drives of a Lifetime". This TripAdvisor article (compiled and written by other TA users like you) has an overview: tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g659487-c74055/Canadia…

... and, at the bottom, a link to the page on the Parks Canada website where you can find a detailed map of all the pull-outs, lakes, waterfalls etc. This is available as a little pamphlet from any of the Parks Canada visitor centres - Banff, Lake Louise, the Columbia Icefields or Jasper.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
259 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

There are many places to get out of the car and take a walk to see waterfalls, views, lakes. It is a truly amazing day of travel. They are well signposted as " viewpoints"..... We stopped at everyone along the road and the trip, with all the stops and walks was a full day. Make sure you do athabasca falls, sunwapta falls, bow summit and peyto lake and you may even want to take the Snocoach ride onto the Athabasca Glacier. This can be accessed at the Columbia Icefields centre.

7. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 August 2011, 21:05
Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

I strongly reccomend the parker ridge trail. You get a stunning view of a glacier with a gorgeous blue river the glacier is melting into.

I personally believe Parker Ridge is better than the Columbia Icefields as its alot more beautiful.

However you do have to climb a slightly steep mountain to see the glacier but definetly worth it!

Richmond Hill...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

I strongly reccomend the parker ridge trail. You get a stunning view of a glacier with a gorgeous blue river the glacier is melting into.

I personally believe Parker Ridge is better than the Columbia Icefields as its alot more beautiful.

However you do have to climb a slightly steep mountain to see the glacier but definetly worth it!

10. Re: Attractions between Jasper and Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 09:15