We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight at Marmot basin.

Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

My son and I like to overnight at ski resorts in our VW Vanagon. Weve never done Marmot, does anyone know how aggressive the park is about policing their no overnight policy?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
30,568 posts
126 reviews
187 helpful votes
1. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

The road up to Marmot Basin ends at the parking lots. There is a gate across the road just below the lower chalet and parking lots, which is locked at night. The parking lots are patrolled before the gate is locked, in case anyone is lost or stranded somewhere on the mountain, so you won't be able to be stay parked without being noticed.

The only place it is legal to park overnight in Jasper National Park in winter is at Wapiti campground, which is on the parkway close to the junction for Marmot Basin. (Well, there is another "winter campground" at the Icefields, but that's too far away from Marmot.)

Edited: 3 years ago
Edmonton, Canada
9 posts
2. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

Thanks for the information, that was exactly what I wanted to know. It's too bad, we'll have to figure out if it's worth it or just head down to Banff.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
16,689 posts
887 reviews
605 helpful votes
3. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

It's amazing, at times, the info you can get on here!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
10,154 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

Assume the Vanagon will have proper snow tires... otherwise you won't be driving on the parkway and could have issues getting to other ski areas.

Just be aware that parking overnight anywhere other than a campground in the national or provincial parks is not allowed. You also cannot park to camp overnight in parking lots unless clearly marked (few to none permit it anywhere near the parks), on private land, reserve land, pullovers or within municipal boundaries. So for any skiing in/near Banff, plan and budget for a campsite (Tunnel Mountain or Lake Louise), or a hostel. No different than for Marmot.

Not 100% sure, but I don't think camping is formally allowed at the Icefields Centre in the winter. But you can stay overnight if you can get into the lot, but the lot is not cleared, nor are there any facilities that are maintained. Which means no facilities other than the one outhouse, and that would likely not have TP or hand sanitizer. I think they also allow tent camping at Wilcox if you walk up the road (the road is shut).

However, if you do choose to go on the parkway and/or camp at the Icefields, it is VERY important not to camp anywhere else (i.e. illegally) and to pay attention to road/avy reports. It's not uncommon for there to be short or longer (hours to days) closures on the parkway because of avalanche issues/snow/avalanche control. And so it's VERY important that Parks knows exactly where people are so they can clear the closure areas before the bomb (they heli-bomb in most cases). Or to clear areas where the avalanche risk threatens the road. Since there is no cell reception, if you do camp overnight at Icefields, you need to check for any announced closures before you leave Jasper or Lake Louise and be alert to conditions. Most of the closures are between Sask River Crossing and the Icefields Centre.

Happy skiing!

Hinton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
106 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.
Save

Camp at Wapiti in Jasper, it’s a short 15 minutes to Marmot. If you’re up early drive up to the fourth parking lot south end next to the hill. The gate will be open for employees heading up to work.

6. Re: Overnight at Marmot basin.

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity.

What are forum guidelines?
Get answers to your questions about Jasper
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.