We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maligne Canyon in winter

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
307 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Maligne Canyon in winter

Is it possible to view the frozen falls at Maligne canyon without going on one of the organized ice walk tours? Are the footpaths accessible at this time of year?

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,139 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maligne Canyon in winter

The trails along the top of the canyon are accessible, although last I heard, they were very icy and slippery, requiring caution. (A couple of years ago, someone was killed, slipping on the ice, and sliding under the guard rail into the canyon... but Parks has recently upgraded a lot of the fencing in that area.)

As for getting into the canyon itself, this is not something I have done, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I have always heard that if you are not experienced, this is best done with a guide. Apparently, there can be unsafe "shelf ice" and you can fall through into a void beneath (it may only be a few feet, but still...)

I'd suggest asking at the Parks Canada trail office. They are still temporarily located in the lobby of the train station, but will be moving back into the newly-renovated InfoCentre in about a week.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maligne Canyon in winter

It would be a good idea to buy some cleats if you don't have them already. A pair of cleats that slip on to your boots cost about $10-15 and make a huge difference when walking on ice.

3. Re: Maligne Canyon in winter

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 10:18