We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Rental in the Rockies

Which Jasper hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
RV Rental in the Rockies

We are 2 couples flying to Calgary in September and want to hire an RV for a week travelling to Jasper via Banff & Lake Loiuse with drop-off at Jasper. Is this viable and a good way of seeing everything?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

You will not be able to drop off an RV in Jasper as there are no agents there.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

most likely a Calgary to Calgary rental would work the best.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,961 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Rcmember!

This TripAdvisor Traveller Article, "RV (Motorhome) Rentals for the Rockies", will give you an introduction to the subject:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g659487-c104900/Canad…

Traveler Articles are written by TA member like you and me in response to the most popular forum questions.

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
512 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

personally i think rv ing or camping is the only way to go...cant beat cookin supper over the fire after a good day of exploring..

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
24,961 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

I agree, but everyone is different! And it helps to know what to expect :)

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Lake Louise
Level Contributor
2,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

You could enjoy a wonderful week starting and finishing with the R.V out of Calgary. I would recommend 10 days as being the perfect amount of time. Seven days to see Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper is going to be really, really, rushed. Any chance of 10 days?

Cape Town, Western...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

A friend and I are planning the same thing. Flying to Calgary and exploring up to Jasper and back by RV. We are South Africans, never been in Canada. Could someone perhaps give an indication as to THE BEST places to see along that route? I get the impression that the beautiful lakes can only be reached by hiking 18 and more kms. Love hiking, but time is limited!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

G'day Carina, and welcome to the TA forums.

First, just a small point. It is not good 'netiquette to tag a question onto the post of another person as the original poster (OP) will receive advice of a reply the the thread, and instead of advice for them there is your question. It also gets confusing if people answer the OP but your question is in the middle. It is better to start your own thread by clicking on the "Ask a question" near the top left of the forum page.

"I get the impression that the beautiful lakes can only be reached by hiking 18 and more kms."

More research needed then. The link below is for a map of the Icefields Parkway (go to the bottom of the screen and click on the .pdf tab) and along that wonderful drive all the features are easily accessible, with the longest distance to walk being at Peyto Lake which would be less than 1km. Lake O'Hara in Yoho National Park is only accessible by the park bus, and reservations open for the bus 3 months prior to the date of travel, and book out within minutes, or an 11km hike, which is what you may be thinking of.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx

www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/ohara/a.aspx

Lake Louise and Moraine Lake up pretty much drive ups, if you can get a park. I will leave it to others to advise on hiking, but it would certainly assist others if you advise the month you are travelling and how much time you have in the Rockies. Otherwise it would be like me asking you to advise on ALL the best spots to see and things to do along the Garden Route driving Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, only then to find I only had two days to do that.

9. Re: RV Rental in the Rockies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 07:15