We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental in Jasper

Brno, Czech Republic
5 posts
Save Topic
Car rental in Jasper

Hello,

I´m currently looking for a convenient car rental in Jasper city, willing to make a tour through Rockies, ending in Calgary.

Does any one of you have experience with car agents like fascarhire.uk, autoeurope.eu or others?

I saw quotes for 9-day car rental from Budget, Avis and National, being almost double so expensive as a car agent.

I have also currently read very bad review on agents like Holidaycars, which made me skeptical about them

Thanks for your time!

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
21,038 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental in Jasper

There are only four car rental agencies here in Jasper - Avis, Hertz, Budget and National.

It's always a good idea to be sure you are comparing "apples to apples" - that the rates include all fees and taxes, and insurance if necessary.

I normally prefer to book directly with the service provider (hotel or car rental agency etc.) but I have used hotwire.com a couple of times to book car rentals, and that's always gone just fine. Many people from the UK have also had good things to say here on TA about using "Canadian Affair" to book rental cars (as well as flights). I guess the thing to do would be to do an internet search for "complaints + <provider>" or "reviews + <provider>", as well as searching the forums here on TA - that should bring you up info to help you decide. I also double check WHO the third party agency is - a red flag warning for me is if they have no information on their website as to who the company that operates the website is (legal name & address). You can also do a "whois" search on domain names to find out who a website is registered to.

Generally with rental cars, as long as your reservation is cancellable, I book the cheapest rate I can find for the type of car we want, and then I periodically re-check. I usually wind up cancelling and re-booking at least a couple of times when I find cheaper rates closer to our trip. Last time I did this, I saved a couple of hundred dollars over the original booking.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Brno, Czech Republic
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Hello,

thanks for your fast reply. I will try it so:)

Brno, Czech Republic
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Hello once again,

I would like to ask you for your opinion on car agent called Cartrawler.

I have found many diverse opinions, either absolutely positive or totally negative.

The quote received from Cartrawler seems reliable. The only thing making me insecure is the fact that our excess to rental company AVIS should be 300 CAD (normally it is around 1000 CAD) and drop off fee being 0.

Thanks a lot.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental in Jasper

I just rented a car in Calgary and dropped in Jasper. The drop fee was $175 however the two Hertz agencys quoted on with no drop fee however a $133 daily rate and the other was more modest but with the fee added on. Either way your paying it.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Brno, Czech Republic
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Hello Davidgmg,

the provider u used was Cartrawler?

Thanks.

seattle
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
19,972 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car rental in Jasper

I used Hertz. None of the companies you've mentioned are familiar names in North America. They most likely are brokers in Europe that books cars in N America.

Brno, Czech Republic
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Hello Davidgmg,

yes they are car brokers.

Thanks for your reply.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car rental in Jasper

so Marci I am also in your situation - wanting a car in august - can you tell me what you did please?

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
19,987 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Heather, Marci has not posted on TA since her last post above on 12 May 2012, so don't hold your breath waiting on a reply.

Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car rental in Jasper

Awesome thanks for that...I was waiting....lucky not holding my breath xx

;