We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
34 reviews
Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

So planning on spending 3 nights at the Springs as part of our two week visit to Calgary to see our son. Just wondering, apart from the Springs, what else in the area is worth a look? Now I know using the term "worth" can cause uproar on TA so lets not get all bent out of shape. We will have a car and to be honest I really want to try and see some wildlife.

We are going to be there early to mid September and will be 3 adults with no mobility issues who are pretty laid back about things. My trip to Banff 2 years ago at the same time of year resulted in the sighting of one lonely Elk so I was a tad disappointed, even though we had driven all over the place and along various trails and off the beaten path routes to spot some critters.

So lets hear it, what did you enjoy doing in the general area of Radium?

4 replies to this topic
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
32,304 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

Radium is pretty quiet and is known for golf and vacation rental and time share properties. Its a really lovely valley, but it is quiet. For wildlife viewing opportunities, I'd see if you can book a guide to take you to some local well known spots.

Here's a few online resources you can browse for more info:

…gov.bc.ca/fw/…wildlife_viewing_kootenay.pdf

http://www3.telus.net/driftwood/kocran.htm (I don't think this is being updated any more, but the references are still useful)

https:/…

I used to work as a naturalist, and I will say that often people were just oblivious to wildlife that was around them. I would notice something and point it out, and they would be quite startled they hadn't noticed it. Spotting wildlife is a skill, and this is where a professional guide may help.

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
784 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

Mid Sept you should see the Big Horn Sherp that live in town as well as the local deer. Hopefully you don’t see any bears or cougars close by. Bear sightings are not in Sept they are in the high country.

What sorts of things do you like to do. Kayak canoe the Columbia river a great way to spend a day rent at Invemere from Columbia River Paddle you will see lots of birds and hopefully other river creatures.

Zip line is new in Radium and loads of fun.

Walk the Old Coach Trail and view the Columbia wetlands.

Hike or drive up Mt Swansea and see the whole valley from the top. You can’t drive right to the top but there is a good path from the parking lot.

Right in Radium there are 2 golf courses and just up the road is Edgewater Par 3 that is fun and serves the best homemade pies for after.

Just a few ideals plus Radium and Invermere have great dining choices.

Sept is our favourite month here in the Valley. Come and enjoy it.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
977 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

Thanks for the tips. Looking forward to our visit out there in September.

salsa savant
Level Contributor
1,213 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area

A few years ago there was a bear warning in mid September in the hot springs parking area. If I am correct is was a black bear.

Reply to: Radium Hot Springs and surrounding area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted