We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Where would the best place be to stopover between Banff and Kelowna..?

Any hotel recommendations would be appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,297 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

It depends on which route you'll take. You can drive between Banff and Kelowna in one day easily, however, if you'd to split your time up, my three recommendations would be Revelstoke, Salmon Arm, or Nelson.

Revelstoke is in the rockies on the BC side... so it might not be so different from Banff. There would be plenty of hiking opportunities nearby.

Salmon Arm is a really small town on Shuswap Lake. It's about a 3 hour drive from Kelowna (I think - I drove that way with my family in 96), however, there's not a whole lot to do there unless you plan to go boating, renting cabins on the lakeside, houseboating, or hiking in the nearby parks. It's pretty, but might be underwhelming after a trip in the Rockies. It's a forested area and relatively flat.

Nelson, I've never been to, but it's on my list! Nelson is a town in the Kootenays on the western side of the Rockies. It too is on a lake, and it looks really beautiful fromthe photos I've seen. The town looks like it has a lot of character and beauty, and I've heard from many people that it has a bohemian/artsy atmosphere.

Perhaps others can provide more info, but those would be the places I'd look further into. Good luck!

Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Another place to consider is Golden. This is where we usually stop, but we are travelling from Edmonton to Penticion which is a longer drive.

From Banff to Kelowna I would drive straight thru unless you really want to stop at lots and lots of places in between. There are really not that many places to stop that will take long. There are lots of look out points, but they dont have to take long and you likely will not want to stop at all of them.

Take the extra day in either Banff or Kelowna.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Banff to Kelowna is an easy days drive, but if you really want to break the journey, I would recommend The Regent Inn in Revelstoke. Superb hotel, very clean, helpful staff, and an excellent restaurant with fine food at very reasonable prices. We have only recently returned from this area and can recommend without hesitation.

We also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Salmon Arm, which is also very good, but Salmon Arm is rather too close to Kelowna to warrant a stopover. However, the Shuswap is very beautiful and would have appeal to anyone interested in boating.

Ireland
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

How long is the Banff to Kelowna drive..?

I found a website that had it down as a 557 mile trip taking 10 hours!

This is why I thought it best to break up the journey.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Distance between Banff Alberta and Kelowna British Columbia is approximately 193 miles ( 311 km), and should be covered in 4 hours or thereabouts.

The route passes through some beautiful scenery:

Banff-Lake Louise-Kicking Horse Pass-Golden-Rogers Pass-Glacier-Revelstoke-Sicamous-Salmon Arm-Vernon-Kelowna.

Whilst the journey can be done in one day, I think it well worth while taking it a leisurely pace and enjoying the views etc, overnighting in Revelstoke, and continuing on to Kelowna the next day.

Hope that this has been helpful.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,591 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

A few years ago, I drove from Calgary to Pentiction in just over 10 hours. It's about 1.5 hours from Calgary to Banff, and a about an hour and a half from Kelowna to Pentiction, so you're looking at about a 7 hour drive.

Both Google maps and mapquest claim it to be about 480 km or 300 miles. It's possible that what you guys read was supposed to be 557 km or 311 miles. That would bring us all much closer to agreeing, with the extra few km allowed for different points of measuring.

Cheshire UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Ambern1 is quite right! Distance between Banff and Kelowna is not 193 miles as I said, but is nearer to 300 miles. Still recommend staying overnight at Regent Inn Revelstoke.

Have a good holiday.

Bournemouth, UK
Level Contributor
102 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

We're doing this in August, stopping at the Griffin Lake Lodge outside Revelstoke.

The reviews on the main part of tripadvisor, and their website are great - I'm sorry we can't stop for longer.

Vancouver, BC
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Stopover between Banff and Kelowna

Maybe a nice B&B or Inn along the way?