We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Which British Columbia hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
for Nanaimo, Vancouver Island
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
391 reviews
Save Topic
E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Bad news for train travel on Vancouver Island. The Dayliner has now been halted indefinitely after further inspection to the rail ties showed them in worse shape than originally thought. 104,000 ties now need to be replaced and the Island Corridor Foundation has applied for a grant from the provinicial and federal governments.

The goal of the Foundation is to run the train again and establish a commuter rail service between Nanaimo and Victoria.

Full story at:

…canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html…

Vancouver-by-the-Sea
Destination Expert
for British Columbia
Level Contributor
7,667 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Sad but not surprising-I pointed this out the awful conditions after viewing some of the roadbed in a youtube video someone linked to last month-parts of the roadbed look to have gone without service for decades.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Thanks for posting, Dave. It is sad. Taking the train had been on our travel "to do" list for quite some time. I guess that we had better re-examine that "to do" list and start doing now intead of putting off until later.

Sechelt, BC
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast
Level Contributor
2,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Very sad 8(

Been part of the island for as long as I can remember. When we lived in Shawnigan and could hear the whislte blow (especially a winter evening and there was snow on the ground and everyone's aromatic wood fire was in the air) it was homey and comforting. I hope they get the grant and it comes back.

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Just heard the freight train go by so the freight is still moving on the line. I sure hope they do get the coin as the changes to the routing (from Nanaimo to Victoria), the increased proposed frequency and new, rebuilt train station (with an Irish Pub going in it) will be fantastic for visitors and residents alike. Perhaps our MP's can make it part of their reelection platform (holding my breath)!

Edit: Blue in the face now but still holding!

Edited: 07 April 2011, 17:24
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

I heard this on the radio today - such a shame! We have so few options for rail travel here, and I love traveling by train. I too was planning to get this trip in at some point. In this day and age of renewed interest in mass transit, it seems so short sighted not to make the necessary investments.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

There is something on the CBC - BC online news this AM about an announcement by the Government regarding this service. People are hoping it means there will be money for resumption -

cbc.ca/news/…bc-vancouver-island-railway.html

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
23,118 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Beat me to it, itchy. I noticed that on CBC.ca and was going to post it. :>

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,152 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Here is something on the announcement -

http://www.timescolonist.com/government+pledges+funds+Rail+line/5018516/story.html

The province's funding offer is dependent on funding from the federal government and certain safety issues being resolved. Still, it is a step in the right direction.

Edit - It doesn't come through as a link. However, if you paste and copy, you can access the article.

Edited: 28 June 2011, 16:06
Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Certainly better news, IMHO, than scrapping the line!

Have read commentary on some news sites saying that the line, like many others, will not make money unless freight is running on it 24/7. While this may be true, with the proposed changes (making Nanaimo the beginning of the line to Victoria, increased frequency and a commuter service from the Outer Communities to downtown Victoria) this will make the line more viable for both residents and visitors to Vancouver Island. I know that our family will make more use of the line if we can go to Victoria in the morning and return to Nanaimo the same day. Less trips to the Mainland though.

Hope the feds come up with the funding and the changes occur sooner rather than later!

Nanaimo, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
391 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: E & N Dayliner Halted Indefinitely

Similar story but in tomorrow's Nanaimo Daily News.

…canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html…