We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockies trip

Kilkenny
1 post
Save Topic
Rockies trip

We are 4 adults planning a trip to the Canadian Rockies in September

The itinerary to date

Vancouver 11, 12, 13

Whistler 14, 15

Clearwater 16

Jasper 17, 18, 19,

Canmore 20, 21, 22

We still have 3 days to return to Vancouver airport for 21.00 flight home on 25th

Any suggestions on the route back to Vancouver would be appreciated

Or any suggestions for any part of the trip would be welcome

We love walking, scenery, and the outdoors. Thanks

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
26,248 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockies trip

I like your plan. As you are going up to the Rockies via Clearwater, then I suggest that you return via Revelstoke. As you will have purchased a pass for the national parks anyway, if you buy the annual pass, then you can also use it in Yoho, Glacier and Mt. Robson National parks on your way back to Vancouver. In fact, if you decided to visit either the Gulf of Georgia Cannery or Fort Langley National HIstoric sites around Vancouver, then the parks pass would be a worthwhile investment as it includes those locations as well.

As you have three days to return to Vancouver, I would suggest that after a night in Revelstoke and some time visiting the area (in fact, there's enough to do around Revelstoke that its worth two nights if you choose), I would suggest you head south along Route 23 to the Shelter Bay-Galeena ferry, then continue through Nakusp and down Route 6 to the Fauquier-Needles ferry and on to Vernon for the night. Visit the north Okanagan wineries in and around the Vernon/Kelowna areas, and then head for Vancouver. Kelowna to Vancouver directly along 97C to Highway 5 and south to join Highway 1 at Hope is only about 4 - 5 hrs.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
58,399 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockies trip

There's something about being in the city of departure the night before the flight that seems sensible to do. Delays on the road, mechanical problems, detours, who knows what. The road to Whistler was closed for 8 hours a couple of weeks ago while police investigated a serious accident and accident scene. It is VERY RARE that that happens, but it can happen. The roads you will be travelling on will be mostly divided highways, so an 8 hours delay would be very UNLIKELY, but a ~2-3 hour one might be conceivable. So being in the city the night before takes care of that ennui.

You are probably choosing Vancouver first to adjust from jet lag. If you don't get jet lag, you might consider driving the 3 hours to Whistler from the airport and repositioning the days in Vancouver to the end.

Otherwise, I would take only 1 night to drive to the coast staying in downtown Vancouver on the night of the 24th. Return the car straightaway. Enjoy the city for one last evening, have a nice dinner out with your friends and choose some sights the next day. The hotel will hold your luggage during the day. Leave for the airport about 5:30 for your 3 hour allowance ahead of departure. There would plenty of things to do that you didn't have a chance to do on the 11, 12 and 13th.

Canmore --- Hwy 1, visit Field (the Spiral tunnels,) Revelstoke --- Hwy 97, Vernon overnight --- Hwy 97C, Hwy 5, Vancouver.

http://g.co/maps/nmmjp

Edited: 27 February 2012, 21:06
Port Moody, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver, British Columbia
Level Contributor
11,920 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockies trip

I'm going to suggest a combination of the ideas put forth by vancouverite and mufti.

Vancouverites route back to vancouver is an excellent one and would give you a real look at some diverse scenery. having said that I also agree with Mufti about heading out to Whistler on the 12 and adding the Vancouver days at the end...not just because you'll be here for your flight out but because the earlier in September you get to the Rockies the better imo. even a couple of days can make a big difference..and if you want to do hiking etc at higher elevations it will be getting cold. September is a beautiful time to visit the area .

With regard to Whistler I'd also be tempted to just spend one night and add the extra to either Jasper, Banff or even Revelstoke..the drive up hwy 99 makes it worth going to Whistler but since you're going to be in the Rockies Whistler will pale in comparison.

revised would be something like

Vancouver 11

Whistler 12

Clearwater 13

Jasper 14,15,16,17 (adding the extra night here gives you a full day at Wells Grey arrive Jasper alate on 14th)

Canmore 18,19,20

Revelstoke 21,

Vernon 22

Vancouver 23, 24

25 home

just some ideas for you to consider.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,662 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rockies trip

I like the suggestions from t47 above, but would recommend going as far as Penticton from Revy, then Vancouver via Princeton to Hope on #3. That evens the driving days out a bit more.

Personally I would not bother about Whistler, but otherwise one night if you consider it a must.

5. Re: Rockies trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 15:40