We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Edmonton to Calgary to Portland

Edmonton, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Travel from Edmonton to Calgary to Portland

Looking to complete this trip with my wife and two kids (7 and 4). We are looking to do some camping. We will probably take a week to get down there.

Can anyone recommend a good route (nice scenery / things to do with the kids (canoeing / tubing / attractions), and some good places to camp.

After Portland, we are going to travel up to Kitimat, then back across to edmonton (but probably want to pose that question after !)

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
57,863 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Edmonton to Calgary to Portland

Welcome to the forum adrian l ~

In the Top Questions to the upper right, you will find an article about travelling between Calgary and Vancouver. I assume your question is about those routes. You will see the best options for crossing the province.

You could also have a look at our official and excellent tourism website. It highlights each of the regions that you might want to travel through with things to do and attractions.

www.hellobc.com

There is a pretty good parks finder for BC as well: http://www.gocampingbc.com/

I personally like Hwy 1 from Calgary across through Revelstoke to Sicamous, down through the Okanagan. If you're in a hurry you might take the 97C and Coquihalla Hwy 5 down to Hope and Vancouver. Or if you want something more scenic, you could go down to Osoyoos and across Hwy 3. The Okanagan Forum would give you lots of info on Things to Do, which can be found in the left sidebar.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
13,375 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Edmonton to Calgary to Portland

Hi

this is a route that I have done only once from Calgary. http://g.co/maps/agn9p

if you have already done the Going into the Sun highway and Whitefish you could cut across on the Canadian side via Sparwood/Fernie to get to Bonner's Ferry.

Since you may have other opportunities to go to the Okanagan this covers territory that is really different and you may only get to go to these places only once. There is the Boyer Park Marina/Lower Granite Dam outside Pullman as a camping site (hard to find but worth it) if it is a nice sunny day.

cheers

cb

3. Re: Travel from Edmonton to Calgary to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:43